Prop staining (electrolosis?) after jackplate install?

So, had a Slidemaster manual jackplate (which was painted or maybe powdercoated, not sure) and replaced it with a Bob's Machine Action Jack, which is nice shiny aluminum I believe. Ever since then (about a month ago) I've noticed some staining starting on the prop. Nothing else has changed other than the jackplate. Jackplate was installed by local-ish Bob's Machine dealer/installer, so hate to think something got missed? Going to chase grounds one evening this week, or should I be looking for anything else? I'm not noticing it anywhere else, ie not at the TM.

Or, is this maybe something else?

Looks like bad ground to me. Id make sure jack plate is grounded to cranking battery for sure.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

3. Member
    The best way to fix this is to put a ground strap between a blade on your prop and either the block of your motor or directly to the negative on the cranking battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    The best way to fix this is to put a ground strap between a blade on your prop and either the block of your motor or directly to the negative on the cranking battery.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    In reality check all ground straps including those to your anodes and check sacrificial anodes for bad oxidation.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post

Called the shop that did the install, going to take it by and let them double check grounding, etc and try to get it sorted out.

So, went by the shop, they don't think it's electrolosis, but instead they believe it's "prop burn" from cavitaton, or running the prop to high. They double checked the wiring and anodes, etc to make sure. I did run it a bit high when I first got the JP installed since I was trying to see peformance and water pressure etc as the various heights, so maybe that was enough to cause it. Suggest cleaning the prop and now that I've got a "normal" running height established with the Jp see if it returns.

Not sure what to use to clean up the prop, they said polishing compound?

9. Member
    Flitz or Meguirs metal polish should take that off with a little elbow grease.

Weimans stainless steel polish
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Scraps
    Could it be that chemically infused lake water you have too much of down in FLA?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Just run it in the sand, it will take off that hideous shine too

Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Just run it in the sand, it will take off that hideous shine too
    lol

Flitz cleaned it up pretty well, but now I think I found a crack . Will post pics in new thread see what everyone thinks. Maybe I am just lucky and it's manf/casting deal.

posted it here in the prop board if anyone interested...
    Last edited by 78Staff; 05-31-2023 at 09:26 AM.

15. Member
    If all else fails try some #0000 steel wool, then polish.

16. Member
    That crack does not look good...............

I swapped to my backup T2, had it out twice now with no staining, so must have been prop burn as the shop mentioned since I was running/testing at various jackplate hieghts when I had the jp installed.

Yeah, that's Two T1's this year. Suffice to day I am not happy with Yamaha's props. First one I am waiting on Yamaha warranty, will likely be a while I have been told. 2nd one (in the thread i linked) bought used so I suspect no warranty. Stopping by dealer tomorrow anyway so will bring it up. But am actively looking for Merc based replacement, likely Tempest, Bravo, or Scorpon possibly (considering due to higher bow lift, and price lol).

18. Member
    merc props only way to go
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools