2000 efi 150 fuel pump problem

I have a 2000 mercury 150 efi I can get the serial number if need be but the Fuel pump works sometimes and some times it won’t. When it does boat runs perfect won’t have a a problem out of it. Boat can be sitting in the garage and will work for days when turning the key on. And may go out today and turn the key on and nothing. Any advice?

2. Member
    Most likely a problem in the ECU, the driver for it is going bad. Can be checked and repaired by companies like Simmons Motorsport, a sponsor here.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC!

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Need to verify that the ECU connector is clean, the locking ring is in good shape and properly locked, and that the ground straps for the ECU and plate are intact/clean/good.

Then verify that indeed 12V+ power is being supplied on the PURPLE wire when the key is turned on.

If all above are good, take a jumper wire and add a separate ground to the NEGATIVE side of the fuel pump. You do NOT need the key on for this.

Pump should start.

Results match: Very likely the fuel pump driver in ECU is failing. Send to Simon Technologies for repair (see Sponsors List forum for contact info).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Serial number is 0t146430. I’ve checked two grounds is all I seen that is like straps on the plate of the ecu are there any other grounds I should look for?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nope- those are the ones that could be in question.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    So I checked the purple wire I do have 12v. The key was turned on and I took a wire to make a separate ground and the pump run. so I assume it is the ecu correct?

7. Member
    yes sir sure sounds like it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    FWIW, I simply put a toggle switch in the dash to supply a ground when the ECM forgets to turn the fuel pump on. Sometimes I can fish for days without the issue but when it arises I just flip the switch and all is well.

9. Member
    dont forget to turn it off
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Have any problem with flooding or anything where the pump runs continuously

11. Member
    never let that pump run continuously if engine is not running

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    never let that pump run continuously if engine is not running
    +100

With the engine running, the only drawback is that the pump is running at full-output all the time. ECU driver modulates the output by modulating the ground.