PSA - Z21xl 18" Wheels Spare rubbing tire hanger

Had a flat in the driveway on my 2022 Z21xl with optional 18" wheels. Must have hit a piece of debris-metal on way home a few days earlier so pulled the spare off the trailer hanger. The spare had never been off the trailer since I took delivery in September 2021. I trailer a lot so rig has a lot of miles on it.

When I flipped over the spare, the steel hanger frame had rubbed notches (1/4" to 3/8") the inside of the aluminum rim. Cosmetic and on the inside of the rim but sort of annoying. If you are running the optional rims might be worth a look.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

2. Member
    That sucks. Thanks for the message on this. I did not go with the optional 18" wheels but have never removed the spare. I leave on a trip to lake saint clair this coming week so will be sure to check my rims and tire condition.

As a side note I grease the "no touch" bearings as part of my regular maintenance and highly recommend folks check those as they do need to be greased. I have found the grease finds its way from the bearing into the cap pretty easily providing no lube where it is needed. Also finding the cap O-ring is not the best quality and develops cracks and dry rots quickly. I am pleased the 2022 model came with the metal caps however.

Coming up on 2 years of ownership in August and overall real pleased with the boat. Keeping up with maintenance is key. the gotcha's are all those finer things we learn about that need our attention as well.

Thanks again. Best - dave
    ~ Dave
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS
    HDS Live 12 B&C/Ghost/AT

3. Member
    Dave,

Yep...the boat already had the optional wheels but probably would not have picked them. They look great but can be challenging.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins

4. Member
    As follow up on this message string. I checked my 14" spare and rim. The metal rods for the spare contact the tire only and nowhere near the rim on mine. Sounds like a problem specific to the 18" rim with a lower tire profile. Thats a big carrier design oversight in my mind. Hope you are able to find a solution.
    Best - Dave
    ~ Dave
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS
    HDS Live 12 B&C/Ghost/AT

I have 18" rims but I use the regular normal spare tire. Not enough lip between the tire and rim to mount it that way.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    Bryan,

Agreed - mine came from Dealer with the Factory 18"s and a mounted spare 18" on the Spare Tire hanger. The 45 series sidewall/rim width combination is why it rubs - same thing if you ever pull a factory 18" off and lay it on the concrete you will feel/hear the lip of the rim hit, the sidewall never does - same as with the Hanger.

Again this isn't a huge deal to me - it's cosmetic but something some folks might want to check if they run an 18" spare on the hanger.

Related - I carry 2 spares on longer trips and my 2nd is a standard 205/75 14" - and I measured the overall height yesterday - and it is exactly the same as the 18" 245/45. I am thinking about going back to a more traditional setup and the 15" 205/75s were slightly taller but shouldn't impact fender clearance.

Good Luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins