best rigging hose system

2B121485
    2003 Bass Cat Cougar
    rigging hose length 10in, not much room for flex here
    Trying come with something better, any ideas.
    20230514_083155.jpg
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20220529_202436.jpg
    I used 1.5" expandable braided sleeving. I doubled it up and both cut end in the bilge. That looks a little tight. Are you able to turn/tilt the motor without stressing lines/cables?
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

3. Member
    I also have an 03 Cougar and it is just as tight. There's way too much going on in that hose. Mine stresses the motor bracket and it never stays put. I'm not sure there is much you can do.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Get yourself a section of hard plastic wire loom. I do not know what diameter you might need though.

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/bla...hoCOfYQAvD_BwE

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    SHEILDS EXSPANABLE BRAIDED SLEEVING / SNAKE SKIN , needs to move in and out of boot, they could beat that design
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Thanks Joe, ordered
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    .... itll work you need to get the smaller fitting that goes in cowling so you can install skin over it in front and tape it nice and neat the plastic hose just dont do good on splash wells
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wonder how it would look if you moved the hydraulic lines to the center, and then put a traditional rigging flange/sleeve on the STB side. That's what I would be researching....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Wonder how it would look if you moved the hydraulic lines to the center, and then put a traditional rigging flange/sleeve on the STB side. That's what I would be researching....
    I have actually been considering that, just hung up on adding another 3 in hole
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sure would be a lot safer, IMHO. That rigging setup is nuts.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I would do this, versus kinking a throttle/shift cable, or fuel line.

12. Member
    While we are on this, mine has been redone and it also has issue, too tight, if I could have a y that connects and I send my shifter cable and throttle through I could keep throttle cable and shifter cable in a better angle
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sounds pretty simple but the larger rigging tube isn't a standard size, making it difficult to source what you're thinking (and switching to the earlier flange results in a considerably smaller tube, defeating the purpose).

Don't be afraid to have a longer rigging tube and cables that lay across the edge of the back deck. Most times it's easier to pick up the rigging tube to open compartment than it is to fight with binding rigging "day in and day out".

Stroker is a tight fit anyway... done several over the years.

20230517_203447.jpg20230517_203344.jpg20230517_203422.jpg
    Because of angles and tight fit, it may be problematic running a tube from the starboard side. Is there an angle flange available. Also is there a 2.5 or 2 in adaptor availble for exiting the motor. The rigging bundle measures 1.850 in as seen in photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-18-2023 at 01:51 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Member
    8m8027677 is what you seek , LEON this is what came on the early optis before they went to the threaded large tube , is a 2 piece kit everthing come in bag you need for cowling except hose clamp

Thank You Gentlemen
    Thank You Leon Pugh

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    825191A03 would be a good choice for the flange and tube.

18. Member
    Mine kinda sux also. Kinks throttle cable I believe
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

I have a plan I think will work, when the new motor flange comes in I will provide follow up. If this does not work I will follow Dons advice and move it it to the starboard side.
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-20-2023 at 12:21 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Member
    thats nice