Fishing tip needed

I’ve fished all my life and I’m finding myself struggling as of late to find any degree of success. At what point do you step away?
    Ive been seeing this decline in my success for maybe 3-4 years and it’s not just no luck it’s dumb luck. Even the handful of small events I’ve been part of winning I haven’t contributed to any weight.

Im not an FFS fan so obviously I don’t have it, am I missing out on that much by not having it? I’ve read on hear where people are successful without it but to what degree. To define success for me it’s not winning or placing but just catching a few fish from time to time whether it’s competitively or just relaxing.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

2. Member
    Here are my thoughts and experiences for what it's worth.. which might not be much..

I have FFS but often times I find myself not starring at the screen but rather just simply fishing like I did before I owned it. There are plenty of fish to be caught by just relying on instinct. I will say however in nearly every tournament my partner and I fish, we have found dots swimming around and we targeted those dots with a wacky senko. It's just shy of amazing to see those dots turn and swim up to your bait then feel your line tick. All of these experiences were in situations where we would not have thrown a lure in that direction had we not seen the fish.

As for slumps, I believe this just happens from time to time as we too are in the midst of a big slump. Put your head down and keep fishing, you will rebound.

3. Member
    What kind of waters do you fish? Deep lakes; lowland shallow lakes near wetlands; structure filled lakes vs those with little structure? I've never owned an FFS and only use my Lowrance to find any tfish in the area, type of bottom, changes in depth/ actual depth, weeds vs no weeds and weed height if any are nearby. That info gives me a clue as to what to cast, where to cast it and presentations that apply to the water fished.

Fish IMO are either irritated or subdued. Irritated fish (of all species in a water) are easily provoked; less so for inactive fish. The former type bite more lure types and more presentaions; the later type hit much slower presentations and usually smaller lures that are finesse in nature.

Fish are in three areas in the water column - one or all three: near the bottom, mid-depth and/or the surface. Lures and presentations must be matched to those areas.

If I want to find biting fish, I start off using finesse lures and slow retrieves with pauses. If panfish or bass pound those lures, I up lure size and speed of retrieve a bit to exclude pan fish biting. I count on a few rules-of-thumb - ALWAYS:
    I count onmylures to find catchable fish. Once fish are caught consistently, I note the pattern and stay with it until I have to find a new one. A pattern involves the use of certain lures and lure types which fish reveal once caught.
    Knowing a water, in the first place, saves time; not knowing a water is like fishing blindfold.

Personally, I listen to my MP3 music player to sloooow down and enjoy the moment whereas high expectations, frustration and boredom don't allow me to consider any of the above and be able to concentrate on discovering what is vs what isn't.
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 01-22-2024 at 06:02 AM.

4. Member
    Can't go wrong with these advice tips above, both are on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMINNOW View Post
    What kind of waters do you fish? Deep lakes; lowland shallow lakes near wetlands; structure filled lakes vs those with little structure? I've never owned an FFS and only use my Lowrance to find any tfish in the area, type of bottom, changes in depth/ actual depth, weeds vs no weeds and weed height if any are nearby. That info gives me a clue as to what to cast, where to cast it and presentations that apply to the water fished.

Fish IMO are either irritated or subdued. Irritated fish (of all species in a water) are easily provoked; less so for inactive fish. The former type bite more lure types and more presentaions; the later type hit much slower presentations and usually smaller lures that are finesse in nature.

Fish are in three areas in the water column - one or all three: near the bottom, mid-depth and/or the surface. Lures and presentations must be matched to those areas.

If I want to find biting fish, I start off using finesse lures and slow retrieves with pauses. If panfish or bass pound those lures, I up lure size and speed of retrieve a bit to exclude pan fish biting. I count on a few rules-of-thumb - ALWAYS:
    I count onmylures to find catchable fish. Once fish are caught consistently, I note the pattern and stay with it until I have to find a new one. A pattern involves the use of certain lures and lure types which fish reveal once caught.
    Knowing a water, in the first place, saves time; not knowing a water is like fishing blindfold.

Personally, I listen to my MP3 music player to sloooow down and enjoy the moment whereas high expectations, frustration and boredom don't allow me to consider any of the above and be able to concentrate on discovering what is vs what isn't.
    Appreciate the info, most lakes we fish are relatively clear, some are grassy (coon tail) all man made flood control reservoirs and I fish some creeks also. I listen to music when I fish which is most times and I find it helpful also. Really struggling with patterning fish and the go to tackle isnt getting it done right now, I know Saturday the fish were locked on the bed and those that caught them found them on 360 or FFS and pestered them to eat. Again I appreciate the insight and confidence boost.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

6. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    Appreciate the info, most lakes we fish are relatively clear, some are grassy (coon tail) all man made flood control reservoirs and I fish some creeks also. I listen to music when I fish which is most times and I find it helpful also. Really struggling with patterning fish and the go to tackle isnt getting it done right now, I know Saturday the fish were locked on the bed and those that caught them found them on 360 or FFS and pestered them to eat. Again I appreciate the insight and confidence boost.
    Sounds like you need to be dragging something. Or wacky rigging. Put the odds in your favor, go when the conditions are best and try to get some momentum back.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    deleted
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 12-10-2023 at 10:42 AM.

8. Member
    You didn't need ffs to catch fish before, you don't need it now. This year has been a weird year weather wise and has made the typical patterns for the time of year not play out.

I've gotten in a funk before to where I felt like I could throw a night crawler in a barrel full of bluegill and not be able to get a bite.
    I "fixed" myself by going to basics. I rigged 4 rods with basic baits that will always get a bite . Wacky rig, Ned rig, shaky head, and a spinnerbait.
    I then deleted all my way points and started from scratch like I'd never been on the water.
    Run down the lake, if it looks good, fish it. Once you start catching you'll start picking up confidence and feel like your old self

9. Member
    Honestly, I stepped away for most of the pandemic. 2020 was shut down, 2021 I didn't fish hardly at all due to depression, and 2022 I fished 1 event, again, due to depression and anxiety. This year, I fished 1 event due to lack of money since I lost my job last year and had to take a big pay cut.

I agree with Wackyjig. Try to clear your mind of anything you've conditioned yourself for and just go fish. Cut everything off, so nothing is tied on when you hit the water. When you see a spot, stop. Look at the spot and say to yourself "I should throw a" and whatever bait you say, tie it on and fish it.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi