Upgrade Cost - Two Stroke to 4 Stroke 250 Pro XS

SN 2B231327

Anyone upgraded recently while trading one in, and have an out the door price they’d be willing to share?

Im at about 185 hours on my 2016 250 Pro XS. I fish almost exclusively the Great Lakes and make a lot of long runs with my son in the boat. I’m thinking about upgrading to a new four stroke for the warranty and peace of mind.

Assuming mine is clean and up to date on maintenance, what should I expect to pay after trading mine in?

Also - I’m curious if the new motor was faster/slower or about the same when done?

If you’d rather share by PM please feel free to send one.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Rick James; 05-14-2023 at 09:31 AM.
    ~Matt Miller
    23’ Phoenix 21 PHX - 250 ProXS

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Matt: In almost every case, your BEST option is to locate and purchase the new engine, and SELL your current one outright to another individual. This will almost always result in your lowest "net cost".

In general, dealers must be able to realize a profit margin on your trade-in, as well as the engine being sold. By selling the old one outright, you are able to retain more of the full value of your current engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Matt: In almost every case, your BEST option is to locate and purchase the new engine, and SELL your current one outright to another individual. This will almost always result in your lowest "net cost".

In general, dealers must be able to realize a profit margin on your trade-in, as well as the engine being sold. By selling the old one outright, you are able to retain more of the full value of your current engine.
    This is true, but in a lot of states, the trade in is deducted from the purchase price of the new one and you only pay sales tax on the difference. So say the motor is worth $10k, here in florida that would save you $700 off sales tax by trading it in, narrowing the gap of what you'd really get selling it on your own a lot of times.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good point, but in most cases, the difference between a retail sale and trade-in averages about 40% of the expected retail price.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I just did what you want to ,mine was a 17 and the deal is how much are you willing to eat or how bad you want a 4stroke ,I like mine but still haven't got it propped right so its slower right now.I did sell out right and I had the opportunity to do so someone wanted mine there's blew.
    there's to many variables involved like finding one then how much did it cost you because in my hunting there's a range of pricing I saw from 22 to 28. And we're I live you can't find one and if you did you probably pay for it ,so I chose to drive out of state, buy it pay a grand in more tax but I would have spent that much on any deal local so its not really a lose .well I guess you see how I figured it to justify getting one

6. Member
    Judging from the 185 hours, your long runs aren’t overly long or perhaps not very often. I’d keep the 185 hour Opti.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    Judging from the 185 hours, your long runs aren’t overly long or perhaps not very often. I’d keep the 185 hour Opti.
    Yeah that is nothing if it has been maintained, it will go 5 times that or more.

8. Member
    Would you trade if you knew the opti would go 500 hours trouble-free ( just normal maint.)? It could.....ya never know!

9. Member
    185 is still new in my books i have 700 on mine and still runs like a top. I know what you mean though when i make long runs with my wife i worry not like you can get out and walk.