Lake Templene info.

I am heading to Lake Templene on Monday for a week. I have a non fishing buddy that lives on the lake and invited me down for a week. Has anyone fished it lately? I am in northern Mich in the Alpena area. Water temps here just got into the low 60s in the past few days. I suspect they may be on the beds but that is just a guess. Is it a a shallow or deep lake? Much structure? Any info on southern Michigan lakes would be appreciated. Maybe I could return the favor if you ever come to alpena area.

2. Member
    With the lakes you have to fish around you there’s no way I’d head south, I absolutely love that area of the state. I’ve never been to Templene before so I don’t any information for you but hopefully you have a good time.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

i havent fished there for years but it was always a good (semi-private) lake. They should be on beds if not almost done. Lots of shallow weed edges. Traps used to be good in the spring and summer. I'd catch a lot on docks and pads in the summer.

Also used to be a good panfish lake.

Quote Originally Posted by dricha21 View Post
    I am heading to Lake Templene on Monday for a week. I have a non fishing buddy that lives on the lake and invited me down for a week. Has anyone fished it lately? I am in northern Mich in the Alpena area. Water temps here just got into the low 60s in the past few days. I suspect they may be on the beds but that is just a guess. Is it a a shallow or deep lake? Much structure? Any info on southern Michigan lakes would be appreciated. Maybe I could return the favor if you ever come to alpena area.
    It's been a while since I've been there too. I've fished it several times. It's a dammed-up creek that forms the lake. There will be a river channel you can follow down the lake. Be leery at the far east end as there is lots of standing timber and wood that was flooded. Fun to fish, but not fun if you get your boat stuck on one of the stumps that is underwater. The lake is mostly shallow with the deepest at the western end where the dam is. You can catch bass throughout the lake. Lots of shallow weeds if they haven't treated it yet. Bring some topwater, weedless lures such as flukes or t-rigged plastics. Squarebill crankbaits will be an option to get over some of the shallow grass and even through the wood if you decide to fish it. Have fun and let us know how you do.

5. Member
    We fished it for a day and a half. First half day we found a few fish but next day it took about 3 hours to get a pattern down. We ended up catching 40 to 60. Most 1lb to 1.5 lb with a few bigger up to 3. Mostly caught on dropshot and chatterbaits in 3 to 5ft in weeds (which is most of the lake). Water was stained but not muddy. Temps 65 to 67 most places. Very shallow mostly with a few deep holes. Seemed like we did best in shallow weeds adjacent to deeper holes. Generally when you caught one in an area you could catch a bunch more. Water was too dingy to tell if they were hanging near beds. Fish had hollow bellies so they were spawned out but could have been protecting the beds. We are fishing nearby lakes and having fun also.

Quote Originally Posted by dricha21 View Post
    We fished it for a day and a half. First half day we found a few fish but next day it took about 3 hours to get a pattern down. We ended up catching 40 to 60. Most 1lb to 1.5 lb with a few bigger up to 3. Mostly caught on dropshot and chatterbaits in 3 to 5ft in weeds (which is most of the lake). Water was stained but not muddy. Temps 65 to 67 most places. Very shallow mostly with a few deep holes. Seemed like we did best in shallow weeds adjacent to deeper holes. Generally when you caught one in an area you could catch a bunch more. Water was too dingy to tell if they were hanging near beds. Fish had hollow bellies so they were spawned out but could have been protecting the beds. We are fishing nearby lakes and having fun also.
    Thanks for the report. Sand lake just stone throw down the road has some bigger ones in it. Fish lake is good over that way too.