Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good Lake For A Second House

We are thinking of buying a second house for a getaway and away from Florida in the summer. We like Texas. Bass fishing is important as a hobby. I cannot afford a million dollars and would like to be on the water. The house/cabin will be small as we will be there only n 4-5 months and it is just 2 of us and the dog.

Any suggestions? You can PM me if you want. Thanks.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

2. Member
    Toledo bend, Fork, Rayburn, if you decide a fork I may put my house on the market. Don’t get to use it as much as id like and it’s water front.

A number of lakes on the GA/AL border if that interests you. West Point, Harding, Eufaula to name a few. A bit further north is Weiss.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    I hope you aren’t thinking of Texas for the summer because you think it is cooler. Super hot here from May through August.

5. Ryan Morott
    Lake o the pines would be nice but no waterfront and like said above it gets real hot here in the summer

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    . Super hot here from May through October.
    FIFY

Florida is pretty steamy in the summer too. Maybe some have not visited another state in the southeast gulf coast region.

Rayburn, Lake of the Pines are COE lakes, cannot be right on the water. And For this I am thankful. Nothing messes up a lake like people looking for a dock and a view.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    We are looking for a small second home/cabin to get away from the crowds in Florida and the bugs. You can put on mosquito spray but nothing keeps some of the Florida gnats away. And the crowds --- you cannot walk into a decent restaurant and expect to get seated anytime soon anymore.

We are not buying or moving from our main house here. Just looking for a getaway and a change of scenery and a little peace and quiet without all the crowds and traffic forva few weeks here and there. Something small with good fishing really close.

I like Lake of the Pines and that area
    We were thinking of taking a trip and looking at property while we're there. We were looking at getting two things accomplished at one time.

We are also looking up into the Carolinas .... but I like to fish and Texas has some really good lakes.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

9. Member
    Don’t think for a minute there no bugs in Texas, gnats can be a bitch and Mosquitoes big enough to stand flat footed and F a Turkey.

Michigan
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

There are some pretty nice RV parks that have some nice set ups, RV's/mini homes all ready to buy with big covered decks. Some are really set up nice.

Just gotta pick a lake, plenty of good lakes. I would imagine location and close to other lakes is a factor.

We looked for 5 years before we bought in 2018, anything near a lake was selling well over appraised value at the time. Found several homes we liked, just could not afford the massive down payments to cover the amount over the appraised value and the 20+% down. But we finally ran into a nice place selling at appraised value.

Good luck.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    '12 Skeeter ZX20 SHO 250 Garmin Echomap Ultra 126SV and 106SV Ultrex.

14. Ryan Morott
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Florida is pretty steamy in the summer too. Maybe some have not visited another state in the southeast gulf coast region.

Rayburn, Lake of the Pines are COE lakes, cannot be right on the water. And For this I am thankful. Nothing messes up a lake like people looking for a dock and a view.
    I have visited southeast plenty being most my family is from south east Alabama and it get way hotter here just more humidity there

15. Member
    Lake Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Just gotta pick a lake, plenty of good lakes. I would imagine location and close to other lakes is a factor.

We looked for 5 years before we bought in 2018, anything near a lake was selling well over appraised value at the time. Found several homes we liked, just could not afford the massive down payments to cover the amount over the appraised value and the 20+% down. But we finally ran into a nice place selling at appraised value.

Good luck.
    What lake did you end up on?

Man they didn't waste any time.
    Last edited by Bassdeer; 05-17-2023 at 08:47 PM.

Bassdeer, Sam Rayburn.

It was close enough and far enough from the Houston area. And since most tournament trails hit Sam Rayburn it just made sense.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

18. Member
    Lake Palestine near Tyler or out by Chandler.

19. Member
    So I am beginning to shop for lake property as well. I have not been to Rayburn yet but have been to Toledo Bend. I get the no-docks allowed advantage for appearance but having a dock with a lift sure makes things convenient for fishing.

That being said, what is the situation at Rayburn if one fishes a lot? Launch daily? Marina slip (what's the cost)? Rails into the water from a boat house (if that is allowed)?

I would never leave a boat at a boat stall on Rayburn. stuff will go missing.

From my understanding you will not own the land to the water line, and you can't do anything to land you do not own w/o permission. I'd be careful of RE agents telling you otherwise when buying. Always verify.

One of the nicest things about Rayburn is not letting homeowners have docks and bulkheads, and not allowing unchecked clearing around the lake.

Makes the lake very nice place to visit.
    Last edited by BMCD; 06-02-2023 at 03:12 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast