Trouble shooting

I have an ignition problem with this engine, Johnson HJ115SLEDR
    By disconnecting the connector with the black/yellow wire on the power pack, I have ignition. By connecting it I have no more ignition. We could conclude that the key switch will be the fault, but yet I tried with another key switch then another control harness the problem remains the same.
    I tried with two new power packs, as well as 2 optical triggers as well, same problem.
    I tried unplugging the temperature sensors, problem not solved.
    I tested the wiring harness for a ground fault on the black/yellow wire but nothing abnormal.
    Does anyone have any clue about this problem?

2. Member
    The basic reminder is that sending the black yellow wire to ground will short out all ignition. All stop - as the emergency stop switch is supposed to do.
    With the new control harness not solving the issue then somewhere in the engine harness the black yellow wire is shorting to ground.
    When you checked for continuity between red red connector and the B/Y wire, how or what wires did you investigate?

thank you for taking the time to answer me.
    On the engine harness, disconnected on the control harness, from the black/yellow wire I tested all the connections and so on the engine block, I find no continuity with the black/yellow wire.
    The key switch is in the off position, the black/yellow wire is grounded. Key switch in ON position, the black/yellow wire is no longer connected to ground.
    The motor was running fine on its stand before I installed it on the boat.
    The connector disconnected from the power pack, the engine starts but I have to insist on the choke for it to start. Once started it runs for a few seconds then stops.

4. Member
    [QUOTE=starflite;13011429]thank you for taking the time to answer me.
    On the engine harness, disconnected on the control harness, from the black/yellow wire I tested all the connections and so on the engine block, I find no continuity with the black/yellow wire.
    The key switch is in the off position, the black/yellow wire is grounded. Key switch in ON position, the black/yellow wire is no longer connected to ground. â​this is correct an the spark plugs should fire.
    The motor was running fine on its stand before I installed it on the boat.
    The connector disconnected from the power pack, the engine starts but I have to insist on the choke for it to start. Once started it runs for a few seconds then stops. â€â€‹This describes a fuel delivery problem to the carbs. The electric primer is injecting fuel at the throttle plates but no fuel seems to be passing into or through the carbs.
    Last edited by Bighare2; 05-13-2023 at 09:53 PM.

Hi,
    i finally found the problem this morning after abandoned this motor since last May: the power pack is a CDI Electronic with only one ground wire.
    the ground wire was not correctly crimped in the terminal, the heat-shrink sheath hid this defect. So the power pack was functioning abnormally. the problem is now solved. Thank you for trying to find a solution to this problem.