Blank and guides for heavy 2-piece spinning rod?

Im looking for a pretty stout spinning rod in a 2-piece setup and not really finding what Im looking for. So Im considering bulding one for myself. I built a flipping rod off an mhx kit a few years ago, and ended up cutting off the guides and installing a lighter set of micro guides for it—its now probably one of my favorite rods. They make a 7’6” MH/fast 2-piece spinning rod blank that seems perfect (its billed as a popping cork/allaround inshore/freshwater blank, which sounds perfect). Questions I have are:
    *Are there other similar blanks in that price range I should look at?
    *What should I be looking for in guides (brand/model as well as sizing)? I like a nice, lightweight guide setup. This will spend most of its life with a 4000 size spinning reel throwing 30lb braid or similar. Im not sure how to size the guides or figure out whats nice and whats fantastic, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    For guides on something like that I'd go Fuji Alconites K Series 25, 12, 7M or L (just depends on if you're going to use rapid choke or cone of flight) and then single foot 6's all the way out to the tip.

You could also get away with 20, 10, 6 M or L and then 5.5's since you're using braid.

I'd probably go the first route myself. I built a spinning rod for a guy over the winter with an 7'6" flippin' blank to use for pike fishing and that's what I went with. 6's will pass a braid to flouro knot better especially if it's 15lb + flouro.

3. Member
    Have you looked at the NFC BB806-2 (IM)? Backbounce salmon rods were the first swimbait rods. Make excellent saltwater jigging rods, bait rods, etc. within their power range. Very versatile. In the Tackle Tour rod archives you can see what they thought of a Lamiglas backbounce rod they tested to get a general idea of how versatile they are.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 05-12-2023 at 02:57 PM.

4. Member
    Thanks! I will check those fuji alconite guides out.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    Have you looked at the NFC BB806-2 (IM)? Backbounce salmon rods were the first swimbait rods. Make excellent saltwater jigging rods, bait rods, etc. within their power range. Very versatile. In the Tackle Tour rod archives you can see what they thought of a Lamiglas backbounce rod they tested to get a general idea of how versatile they are.
    No, I havent. I googled it and can only find the 1-piece version though. Does it still exist?

6. Member
    You don't Google things when the catalog is on the sight, on the NFC site, that first thing you see with the black background is flawed and is not the catalog, though I think it's listed near the bottom of the salmon/steelhead section. It's in there, took all of 15 sec. to find it in the 2023 master catalog list.

7. Member
    Sorry, I had no idea what nfc stands for, so i googled it. I found the catalog, I appreciate the suggestion but its more then Im looking to spend though.

8. Member
    A blank that may fit you description for $98.46, made in the US by one of the premier designers/companies, lifetime achievement and Hall of Famer inductee. I suggest you find another hobby if this cost is to much for you, you'll never enjoy it or the results, leave yourself some room to dream. Chinese blanks that don't fit your needs cost as much if not more.

9. Member
    Man, that blank was $218.79 in the catalog on their website?? Im clearly not finding the rod you are suggesting, do you have a link? I’ll happily grab one for $98, thats less than the mudhole blank I mentioned in my post, I’m just not interested in spending $220 on a blank, this rod will not get treated great so it's not where I want to splurge. I appreciate the help.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 05-21-2023 at 08:16 PM.

10. Member
    Whats the functional difference between the kl-h and kl guides? One is higher obviously, is that noticeable, just aesthetic, or? Any reason to go with one over the other for a 4000-size reel and 20-30lb braid?

11. Member
    Catalog has best specs, but not updated to sale price, it is after all just a paper catalog pdf. The site with the black background you first go has the price. Salmon/Steelhead section, 11 items from bottom of list.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    Whats the functional difference between the kl-h and kl guides? One is higher obviously, is that noticeable, just aesthetic, or? Any reason to go with one over the other for a 4000-size reel and 20-30lb braid?
    It's the height...no difference other than that. It just depends on what method you use to space your guides. If you use the Fuji rapid choke system https://anglersresource.net/kr-guide...ment-software/ then it'd direct you to use the KL. If you do cone of flight or some other method then you might want to use the H for your third guide and then a choke

13. Member
    KH high frame, KL low frame. you many times have to mix and match the get the right bullseye of reduction guides for you application. Guide height is more important than guide ring size in your application. Your line is in the very limp 12 lb. mono wheelhouse as far your reel and guide selection. Fuji "Y" frame height guides 25 mm, 16 mm, 10 mm, that 7 mm "L" frame runners have worked for me for decades with your size line, heavy leaders may bump the runners to 8 mm. If you need a bit more durability due to transport, etc. than the Fuji LN frame guides get the job done without a lot of extra weight and you can always go to like size/height double foot KW guides from reduction guides for the same reasons. Have you tried the Fuji GPS guide sizing/spacing app to see what they recommend?

14. Member
    Thanks. I’m guessing you wont be shocked that I’ve never heard of the fuji gps guide sizing/spacing app?
    I will check that out for sure. The info on different guide-spacing methods is mostly greek to me, so I will read a bit and look this up. I appreciate it!!

Fujis guide spacing is money. I’m sure years of experience and research went into it.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763