Thread: Wacky Hook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Scraps
    Didn't realize I had some of those VMC wacky hooks, I don't like that style either. The VMC Neko is just too good to try something else. I use a 1 or 1/0 most of the time with a 5in stik bait or Zoom fat finesse, but gonna try a 2 next trip.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I still use the Gamakatsu B10s. It’s literally the hook that the rest copied. I believe it was originally made for tying large flies
    Yep, definitely a fly tying hook. Funny thing is, the new G-Finesse Neko hook Gamakatsu is selling is the same hook as well. The only difference is the "TGW" (tournament grade wire, which, as far as I know is just a fluorine coating), and it turns out they make a TGW version of the B10S that is identical to the G-Finesse stinger at quite a discount. The only reason I go with other hooks is that I like a weedless option.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Yep, definitely a fly tying hook. Funny thing is, the new G-Finesse Neko hook Gamakatsu is selling is the same hook as well. The only difference is the "TGW" (tournament grade wire, which, as far as I know is just a fluorine coating), and it turns out they make a TGW version of the B10S that is identical to the G-Finesse stinger at quite a discount. The only reason I go with other hooks is that I like a weedless option.
    Good to know. I may look at the TGW version when it’s time to buy more

4. Member
    I fish a Wacky rig a good bit. This is the hook I use exclusively. I have caught really big fish on this hook and pulled them out of pads, hydrilla and heavy cover. A friend showed them to me several years ago. At that time it did not have the "KVD" designation.

In Florida you need something tough and reliable that will handle a big fish. From personal experience with many fish, I recommend it. I use the 3/0.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Must...page-MWGW.html
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

5. Member
    If you like decoy hooks try the Big Bite Finesse. Much stronger hook and hook up ratio is excellent They make a weedguard version but I tie my own.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Deco...ge-DCYBBF.html
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by HellaBass View Post
    I agree to on the VMC Neko hooks - https://omnia.direct/VMCNeko

Disagree on the VMC wacky, feel like I loose way to many quality fish on those because they skin hook bigger fish where as the Neko hook typically pins them through the mouth
    This is a good choice, VMC neko.

7. Member
    The 3 size works great for me:
    https://gamakatsu.com/product/wicked-wacky/

8. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    VMC NEKO size1
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

9. Member
    I always wondered if the extra length of the shank on the VMC Neko would discourage the fish in tough conditions but it doesn't look like anyone has a problem with that.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    I always wondered if the extra length of the shank on the VMC Neko would discourage the fish in tough conditions but it doesn't look like anyone has a problem with that.
    l’ve always wondered the same. Did buy a few packs of VMC based on the recommendations here but have not tried them out yet.

11. Scraps
    Have not noticed this, especially if using a 1 or 1/0 on a in stick bait.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    I've never noticed any problems with the extra shaft length affecting the bite.

13. Member
    B10s is money, check out James Niggemeyer video on adding weed guard

Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    VMC Wacky Weedless Hooks
    My two cents, for me these are the worst wacky hooks going. Horrible hook up. I settled long ago on Owner Weedless Wacky 1/0; not saying they are the best, but good for me. I do know lots of people have now gone to weedless Neko with success.
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

15. Member
    The Berkley weedless wacky is really hard to beat. I've had great success with sticking them and the coating on the hook seems to really help it penetrate deeper.
    2017 Triton 21TrX Elite
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112, Mega 360 w/ Helix 10 Di Si Meg+
    Garmin Livescope + on an Ultra 122SV at the bow.
    Garmin Ultra 122SV and Ultra 126SV at the Helm

I've all but completely gone away from the traditional "drop shot" style hook, both in my wacky rigging but also in my drop shotting! The reason I bring that up is because the one time where I felt like that extra length mattered was not on a wacky rig, but on a drop shot. I was nose hooking reaper/flat worm style baits in really clear water for smallmouth and was getting a lot of half-assed bites. Switching to a smaller traditional hook changed that around. But with a wacky rig, I've never had the first issue getting bites with that bigger hook in any condition.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

17. Member
    So, I’ve been using (a few trips out) the longer shank VMC hooks that were recommended and I have had good results. The hooks are certainly stronger than the smaller style owner wacky hooks and the longer shank doesn’t seem to limit the number of bites I’m getting. Lastly, and we will see if this is a coincidence or holds true longer term the longer shank hooks do not seem to be getting so deep in the bass throats. Of all the fish I caught, not one was deep hooked and all were in the roof of their mouth except 1 in the lower mouth area. But, this could be more the fish mood as we are post spawn and the fish are not overly aggressive right now. Thanks for all the recommendations.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    VMC NEKO size1
    VMC NEKO 1/0 foe me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12