Champlain-North Hero Bucket List Trip

Hello, I am just retired and just finished restoring an old Ranger 391xt and added a Yamaha SHO. I have checked Lake Seminole and Lake Istapoga off my bucket list of trips and will head to North Hero on Lake Champlain on May 27Th for the next one. I have maps and have color coded depths on my units and know that the lake will be intimidating and I will watch the weather. I wondered if anyone might offer any ideas such as water depth and how to locate smallmouth that seem to move around a lot. Depths and lure ideas would be most welcome as I look forward to trying this lake. Long haul from Virgina but hopefully worth the experience...also do you take the ferry or drive around to North Hero and is the water clear enough that line size becomes and issue for smallmouth?? Thanks...

2. Member
    10’ft or less. I stay across the lake each year on the NY side at Marine Village Cottages. Early warming this year will have the smallmouth ahead of schedule. Start and the point of a “pocket “ and work your way in to figure out where they are. It’s not too difficult to figure them out

Pm me, I'll hook you up.
    0G886873 Mercury Serial Number
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera III with 200 Merc

4. Member
    Just to add the water is definitely clear enough for line size to play a bit but I personally haven't had the need to dip below an 8# fluoro leader. bassdge hit the nail on the head tho in terms of where to look
    Nitro Z18
    175hp ProXS

5. Member
    I have not had any issues with 10lb floro , but maybe 8 could produce more bites.
    those Champlain small mouths do not seem very picky most of the time.’

6. Member
    Thanks for the help I have received, I am rigged and ready I think , just working out the meal plan now.

7. Member
    We have a group of 8 guys that have been staying in Pelot bay across from North Hero Marina for years now. We are headed up on the 27th. I have a red Stratos 200ProXL with red power poles. Say hi if you see me. Nice area as you can always get out of the wind. We have never used the Ferry and drive all the way up to the Canadian border to come across over into the islands. We seem to do well in about 8ft of water and in. Crankbaits, Stickbaits, Spinnerbaits and even topwater. Pretty much whatever you want to throw will catch fish. Not sure what this year will hold. We like it when the water level is up as it appears to be this year. When we have struggle to find numbers if we can find weeds and boulders that seems to always produce fish. We have a wide array of fisherman with a couple tournament guys to guys that only fish on this trip for bass. We never leave disappointed as it is always what you make of it. The largemouth will also be biting so some of the shallow bays can be fun too. Beautiful lake but can get ugly with the wrong wind. Best of luck.

8. Member
    OK, I will watch for you, I will be in a Red and White Ranger with power poles and a Yamaha SHO ---VA (virgina boat numbers of course...will stick out like a sore thumb...we will probably be the boat closest to any bank or shoreline...., thanks for the advice..

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scuppernog View Post
    OK, I will watch for you, I will be in a Red and White Ranger with power poles and a Yamaha SHO ---VA (virgina boat numbers of course...will stick out like a sore thumb...we will probably be the boat closest to any bank or shoreline...., thanks for the advice..
    That lake is so big and there are so many bassboats on it at any given time you would be surprised finding your own friend can be difficult.

10. Member
    Yes probably so... but looks like we are staying within about a mile of each other..may see them at the ramps

11. Member
    Lake has been pretty empty this week. The water temperatures must have dropped substantially with that front that came through last week. I am staying at Marine Village Cottages. Water temp was 46 at Point la Rouche on Sunday. Launched in Plattsburg Monday and the water temp was 47 in the back left corner. We normally fish the NY side as it seems we catch bigger fish. Ran across to Mallets yesterday. Temps were 54 in the morning and rosé throughout the day. Took the morning off today in anticipation of weather/ rain.
    fishing has gotten better each day, but overall been the slowest for us in the last 5 years.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    Lake has been pretty empty this week. The water temperatures must have dropped substantially with that front that came through last week. I am staying at Marine Village Cottages. Water temp was 46 at Point la Rouche on Sunday. Launched in Plattsburg Monday and the water temp was 47 in the back left corner. We normally fish the NY side as it seems we catch bigger fish. Ran across to Mallets yesterday. Temps were 54 in the morning and rosé throughout the day. Took the morning off today in anticipation of weather/ rain.
    fishing has gotten better each day, but overall been the slowest for us in the last 5 years.
    Thanks for the update and I hope the weather warms a bit and they pick up ...hopefully during the time you have there. Looks like a warming trend next week..

13. Member
    Post trip reports..it was a good trip made perfect by a safe return home and no major equipment damages or lost other than a couple of lures to pike. Thanks for the help I received. I struggled for 2 days thinking if I fished slower and deeper and more finesse I could catch them, and did catch a few each day. But once I moved around enough to locate some active fish with the advice I received I caught some really nice, fish for two days. Saturdays wind was tough
    Last edited by scuppernog; 06-07-2023 at 07:04 AM. Reason: spelling

14. Member
    What part of the lake did you fish? I'm headed up to North Hero in the morning for 4 days on only my second trip ever up there. Any info you care to share would be helpful for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuppernog View Post
    Post trip reports..it was a good trip made perfect by a safe return home and no major equipment damages or lost other than a couple of lures to pike. Thanks for the help I received. I struggled for 2 days thinking if I fished slower and deeper and more finesse I could catch them, and did catch a few each day. But once I moved around enough to locate some active fish with the advice I received I caught some really nice, fish for two days. Saturdays wind was tough

15. Member
    I think the bite was off somewhat until we had a 93 degree day and the temps stabilized a bit. I could not get them to chase a moving bait much and for me to catch them , I went to plastics. I fished both sides of north hero and then went toward the gut and a little further south. bassdge advice on pockets was spot on..

16. Member
    We'll get there around 9-10 tomorrow and run to city bay to start then maybe over to St. Albans on Friday for a full day.