Fuel gauge or fuel sending unit problem?

I have a 2000 201D. How do I test my fuel gauge to see if it is bad. Right now it is reading full when I turn on the key, I know that I only have about a 1/4 of a tank? If it turns out to be the sending unit, what is the best sending to get and where would I purchase one? I understand that I can access the sending unit from behind the drivers seat? Any issues replacing the sending unit? Thanx in advance for any suggestions regard this matter.

2. Member
    oHm should read less when full and more when empty. Most likely the sending unit, which it sounds like mine did last August reading 1/4 tank yet empty.
    Take unit out, and measure the depth of tank for accuracy wne ordering new one.
    Please take pictures and post so we have 'how to' for the rest of the forum.
    Thank you in advance,
    Frank

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I've got some links on the Champion board for testing instruments. Give these a try

Trouble-Sht-Fuel-Level-Ga_R4.pdf (veethree.com)
    Trouble-Sht-Testing-the-Fuel-Sender_R4.pdf (veethree.com)

One thing I think happens that I haven't verified yet is that the float on the sender gets fuel logged. Had that happen on an old Piper J3 Cub I owned at one time. I dried it out over the course of a couple of days and refinished it with clear Imron. Was still working great when I sold the plane. Probably easier just to replace it, if that's what is happening.

4. Member
    Thanx guys for the info. What are your thoughts on replacing my sendng unit with a reed style sending unit? I will try and take some photos of my install.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I would think the reed style would be more accurate than the lever style.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    I would think the reed style would be more accurate than the lever style.
    ++1

7. Member
    OK, I took the seats off my 2002 Cobra 201 DC to verify my tank and why my reading is incorrect. I verified that I do have the 44 gal INCA model FO4411 crosslink poly with a depth of 7 1/4" at the sending unit.
    With the sending unit out of the tank, it seems to work fine as I moved the arm up and down, but I have decided to replace the unit with a Moeller Reed Switch Fuel Sending Unit – 7 inch Tank Depth 035774-10

I pray that this solves the issue of reading 1/4 tank when empty so it will turn out to be an easy fix for 85.00

BTW, I did the volumetric calculations based on the tank measurements of 20.5"x 72" x 7" which is about 41 gal leaving about 3 gal of 'reserve'.
    Last edited by digthemup; 06-20-2023 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling

8. Member
    Here is the pictures for getting to the sending unit of a Cobra 201 DC, and mine is a 2002 model yr.
    Remove remove center storage box to get to the screws to the seats, and remove the seats.
    Starboard seat.jpg
    Sending unit is located behind starboard (driver) seat.
    old sending unit.jpg
    Locate you tank information behind port (passenger) seat.
    tag location Port seat.jpg tank ID.jpg
    Use the information from your tag and the depth measurement from your sending unit to order your new unit. Mine required the Moeller Reed Switch Fuel Sending Unit – 7 inch Tank Depth 035774-10, showing installed.
    I had to use my old screws because the ones they sent did not work. Hand tighten screws but don't crush gasket.
    new sending unit installed.jpg and center pick up Center fuel pick up unit.jpg
    Double check all your work and reinstall your seats and center box.

BTW, the sensor bolt pattern is not universal and fit only in this manner like the gasket to the sensor, otherwise it may seem close but it is not correct.
    Last edited by digthemup; 07-03-2023 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added info

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I'm anxious to hear how that new reed style works.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    I'm anxious to hear how that new reed style works.
    That is what I replaced the old arm style with a reeds, and I tested it several times before completing the install watching it move the gauge exactly the amount I move it.
    I am sure it will work better than the old arm style one for sure.