Thread: Sausage?

Sausage?

Anyone making their own sausage? I went down the YouTube worm hole yesterday.....

It seems like something I would enjoy

2. Moderator
    I really want to do this but haven't taken the financial plunge to get setup with everything. For a decent grinder and stuffer it's a fairly substantial investment.

3. Member
    We make a good bit of sausage with our deer, antelope, and Elk. I think I have gotten to where I really only hunt so I can have meat to make sausage. We have also expanded a bit to make our own breakfast sausage with pork butts. The quality is so much better, and you can make it to your taste.

In short I really enjoy it

4. Member
    Wife has a KitchenAid. Do you think the attachment for that is good enough to start with?

I do a fair amount every year with a Northern Tool grinder. I’m lazy. Only grind once. Into the tube, through the knife plate, then straight into the casing. One and done. Super easy to learn. I like knowing what goes into it. Beats ANYTHING you can buy at the store.

979897E3-817F-4FBC-97E9-AE777A7272A7.jpeg

6. Member
    Now I'm hungry. lol
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    Wife has a KitchenAid. Do you think the attachment for that is good enough to start with?
    Yes it will get you started and since you have the kitchen aid now its less of a investment incase you dont like making your own.
    I started with my kitchenaid then went to LEM grinder etc.

8. Member
    Bought a grinder and tried it a couple times but just didn't come out good. I need a good seasoning recipe for it....

The one thing I’ve found is that quite a few recipes are light on the seasonings except for the salt. I cut the salt in half and add more of the other stuff. You’ll figure out pretty quickly what you like. Write it down. After mixing a batch, run a few pieces through the grinder to make a small patty. Fry it up and see if it needs more of something.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    my wife uses the Kitchen Aid. There is a sausage attachment. She makes Lithuanian sausage with it that is very good.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I do a fair amount every year with a Northern Tool grinder. I’m lazy. Only grind once. Into the tube, through the knife plate, then straight into the casing. One and done. Super easy to learn. I like knowing what goes into it. Beats ANYTHING you can buy at the store.

979897E3-817F-4FBC-97E9-AE777A7272A7.jpeg
    That looks DAMN good!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanboat View Post
    my wife uses the Kitchen Aid. There is a sausage attachment. She makes Lithuanian sausage with it that is very good.
    Good to know, I appreciate it!

13. Member
    Is everyone using pink salt? I'm a little foggy on when or why it's needed.

I use Kosher salt. I’ve never used the pink curing powder. I think it’s for dry curing or cold smoking. Maybe I’m wrong?

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-i...er-no-1-996131