Thread: Rattle Traps

Rattle Traps

I don't bass fish hardly at all compared to 20 years ago. I have tons of old fishing gear from my father when he was alive. He was quite the hoarder of lures and loved tourneys. I've pulled out the Bagleys as I know they hold some value-not that I will ever do anything with them or sell them. I was putting some little tackle boxes together for my grandkids, who have recently started to fish. I have numerous rattle traps in the original box. My father has been dead over 30 years so the lures are probably from the 70s and 80s. Do these rattle traps have any value? If no, I'll load the kids up. If they do, I will pull them and replace them with some Norman or Cordell baits. I don't know what I will ever do with them, but I expect the lures I give away to not last too long as the ages of the kids are 5-10 years old.

2. Member
    I’m not sure on traps but lot of Norman lures are starting to be popular. Not seeing high prices.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I'll just give them to the kids. I see a lot of lures being sold. Most are not in the original packages. Since these were I thought I would ask. I'd hate to give away the holy grail of lures to get thrown 40 foot into a treetop!

A few have price tags from Walmart, Grandpas, etc. I think $1.70 was the lowest. Interesting for sure, but a waste to just sit in a storage box for 30 years.

I am happy that some of this stuff will get used. I have been using it for decades and have hardly made a dent. I have so much soft plastic and spinner baits it would rival Bass Pro! The local college has a bass team I think I will contact.

4. Member
    The older Norman and Cordell will hold some value soon. A lot of Cordell already do. The traps don't hold much value, just a few colors have a little bit. Feel free to post pics and we can tell you. If you've got a lure worth $20 it'd be better to sell it and buy 5 new lures than let the kids just toss it out and lose it I'd think but that's your decision.

5. Member
    Maybe I will look into selling them off when I retire. Lure collecting is not a hobby of mine. I started to identify and appraise 100 plus Bagleys a few years back. I could see it was going to be more time and effort than what I thought was worth $10 here and there. Factor in dealing with the buyers and back in the rubbermaid they went.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by temp View Post
    Maybe I will look into selling them off when I retire. Lure collecting is not a hobby of mine. I started to identify and appraise 100 plus Bagleys a few years back. I could see it was going to be more time and effort than what I thought was worth $10 here and there. Factor in dealing with the buyers and back in the rubbermaid they went.
    Yeah that's understandable for sure. There are collectors on this site that are no BS buyers that buy Cordell for sure, but I definitely get what you're saying

7. Member
    I collect several of the Cordell lures ! I mainly go after the Big O's , all styles . If You want info on them , send me a PM or email . I will get back with You ! If I need any , I will give You a good offer !

Robert Farrar ; rwfarrar@tds.net
    In God WE Trust

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlBasser View Post
    I collect several of the Cordell lures ! I mainly go after the Big O's , all styles . If You want info on them , send me a PM or email . I will get back with You ! If I need any , I will give You a good offer !

Robert Farrar ; rwfarrar@tds.net
    OP, this is the guy I was talking about. Very solid guy to deal with

9. Member
    I can't say just how much your Rat-L-Trap lures might be worth, it all depends on the size, condition, etc. But I can tell you that since they are now making a lot of Rat-L-Traps in China the value of the ones made in Alexandria LA will have to go up in value, maybe not this year but in a few years they will.
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

10. Member
    Lure value is in rarity Overall vintage prices are way down from 30 years ago. Internet killed prices