Boggs and dead fish

My boy and I fished Saturday the 6th. Dead bluegill and crappie were everywhere, not just one here and there, if you saw one there was a dozen. I asked the tournament director about it and he said its been that way all year. Last year blue/green algae killed a bunch, but with this weather I don't see the algae bloom being an issue yet. He too mentioned the fish school up and are killed by boat traffic. I did notice some fish were cut in half. Anyone else have an explanation ?

I've seen that at Boggs before. If I had to guess, I would say the managers of the lake treated it with something to kill the algae and the fish were collateral damage.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    I've seen that at Boggs before. If I had to guess, I would say the managers of the lake treated it with something to kill the algae and the fish were collateral damage.
    That sounds like a wild a$$ guess to me. Can you show me a product sprayed in early May to kill algae?

Same way 15 years ago, dead panfish all over. My guess is chemical runoff.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    That sounds like a wild a$$ guess to me. Can you show me a product sprayed in early May to kill algae?
    Sorry you didn't like my response, just stating what I thought. I know I have seen large quantities of dead bluegill at Boggs in the past. I know Boggs treats the lake to kill algae from time to time. I know some of these types of chemicals can harm or kill fish. I'm not a botanist, so I don't know what time of year theses chemicals are used. If you give my your number, I will run any posts I make in the future through you first to make sure you're cool with what I have to say.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

6. Member
    Does it have anything to do with run off by nearby Farms. I’ve heard of some
    Turkey Farms that have runoff that goes into a creek that feeds the lake. Not
    sure just what I’ve heard.

7. Member
    we see that every year at Boggs , some years its a huge amount of dead fish

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangered View Post
    Does it have anything to do with run off by nearby Farms. I’ve heard of some
    Turkey Farms that have runoff that goes into a creek that feeds the lake. Not
    sure just what I’ve heard.
    It's either turkey or hog or maybe a little bit of both. I just know, the warmer it gets the more you smell it. It can't be good for the lake...or for the fish.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

9. Member
    North side of lake has 2 dozen amish turkey barns, hog and cattle run off..west side is worse. When you get this heat,,then little to no rain,,the pollution is going to cause that green scum coving the entire bottom to bloom as well as blue green algae blooms. They close the swimming beach quite a bit in the summer. I could go on,,but will leave it as that. Be surer and flush your engines out when the green scum is floating.. when that crap drys,,it can mess a engine up. It’s called pollution.
    Last edited by cevans; 05-22-2023 at 07:50 PM.

10. Member
    I would think the city of Loogootee (which I believe owns the Boggs property if I'm not mistaken..) and local homeowners would be fighting that. It's really bad some days. The campers there have to smell it as well. I wouldn't eat any fish from that lake. People will eventually stop going there.
    Last edited by BackLash625; 05-31-2023 at 06:39 AM.
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

11. Member
    Believe me they know of the problems with the lake. They just can’t do anything about it or don’t want to. Since the Amish moved in and bought all the farms for miles around…not much they can do. If you look at the lake,,not a lot of inflow to flush it out as well as the current inflow especially when it rains is polluted inflow. They advertise the lake and campgrounds in various Sport Shows as well through their tourism and every year gross over a million bucks too. Yep,,it will catch up with them in the long run.

12. Member
    going to try Boggs again tommorow , hope its better than my last trip down there earlier this year ... nothing but shorts , and very few at that ..

13. Member
    I would avoid Boggs as they just closed all the beaches indefinitely due to red algae. All this rain and storms has been skirting us for the past couple weeks and we have been getting 0.2 or 0.3 inches and it’s not enough to add fresh water to Boggs. I also would avoid eating any fish out of Boggs. Stay hydrated in this heat.

14. Member
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    - Dr. Carl Sagan