Something I run into more often than you'd think

So I buy a lot of broken rods and strip them to use the parts for budget builds and repairs so I've got a pretty good idea of how the sausage is made from most major rod manufacturers. In general I'm not very impressed with the build quality which is one of the reasons I like to roll my own. This is the reel seat from a Megabass Orochi Perfect Pitch (if I had to guess Gen 1), guy in my club gave it to me after he snapped it half way down. Probably the easiest reel seat I've ever recovered. When I grabbed the aluminum trim ring with a pair of pliers the blank section literally just pulled out. You can see the tape arbor too. I was kind of shocked because I've replaced guides on a number of MB rods and have always been impressed with their wraps and finish. I've kind of come to expect this from rods that are sub $200 but have found similar construction "techniques" on a number of upper tier rods from a lot of manufacturers.

MBseat.jpg

2. Member
    Looks like they didn’t use nearly enough epoxy if it came out that quick. Surprised with the tape, doesn’t even look like the rear part of the reel seat had anything to hold onto.. I still use some tape for grips when the blank is too thin for the cork but reel seats I try to either get a size too small and ream to fit, or I use the poly arbors. I’ve tried the Fuji brick ones and never had one fit right in the reel seat they are supposed to be made for.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

That rod is possibly 10 years old. I have no idea how it's been fished or treated in that time. Occasionally a rod with an issue slips past but with its age it might be hard to call. That particular edition has been out of production for 6-7 years.

4. Member
    Rod was in great condition and other than the cork being a little dirty based on the guides and wraps you'd never guess it was that old. It snapped when someone fell on it, not a hookset or anything. I know the guy he's fished in my boat and it got carried around and stored in that overkill rod sock that Megabass gives you. It was paired with an OG Zillion that's in as good of condition as the day he bought it.

I get that it's an old rod, my point is that just because your paying a lot doesn't mean they're using the best practices when building a rod. There shouldn't be any masking tape on a company's premium rods. I've seen similar with a Zbone, Black Ice (which didn't surprise me) not to mention that guides easily just work themselves out of the wrap on just about every Croix model, etc. I just happen to take a picture of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Rod was in great condition and other than the cork being a little dirty based on the guides and wraps you'd never guess it was that old. It snapped when someone fell on it, not a hookset or anything. I know the guy he's fished in my boat and it got carried around and stored in that overkill rod sock that Megabass gives you. It was paired with an OG Zillion that's in as good of condition as the day he bought it.

I get that it's an old rod, my point is that just because your paying a lot doesn't mean they're using the best practices when building a rod. There shouldn't be any masking tape on a company's premium rods. I've seen similar with a Zbone, Black Ice (which didn't surprise me) not to mention that guides easily just work themselves out of the wrap on just about every Croix model, etc. I just happen to take a picture of this one.

6. Member
    Yeah, I'm thinking there shouldn't be masking tape arbors on high dollar rods. I get it that there are hundreds and even thousands of rods out there with that. And that there are still plenty of builders that still use that practice. They work. I just can't bring myself to do it. I use either the poly arbors that ECobb mentioned, or it's an order to fit the blank type seat. For me that means an Alps MVT. Love those things.

When I was new and just getting into building, I used a few tape arbors. Now it’s exposed blank graphite bought to fit even if that means waiting a few days. + 1 on the Alps MVT. Very nice reel seat.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763