Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

high idle in neutral?

Model 1117F531D
    2B675388

2019 ProXS 115 4stroke

1st time out for the year. Fresh gas, with Stabil and Yamalube Ring Free cocktail. Shop was out of Quickleen.

Motor turns but wouldn't fire. Is that the correct terminolgy?
    After the 3rd attempt, I popped the cowling off and saw all 4 spark plug wires connecting to the spark plugs were dangling. I changed the spark plug winterizing and I guess I didn't reconnect them.

Connected all the wires and fired right up but it sounded louder than it should be. I also see how it's bubbling way more at the motor than normal. That's when I noticed the RPM is right under 2000. Thought maybe it was running rich bc of the previous 3 attempts to start and fogging oil.

Put it into gear and idled out. It's pretty jarring slamming into gear like that. It does lower the RPM to about 1000. I idled past the no wake zone put it back into neutral and RPMs go back to 1950. I just left it in gear for about 5 mins driving in circles. Then headed back to trailer up.

Also no faults shown in VesselView.
    Motor is still under Gold coverage.

2. Member
    Possibly the IAC valve. My 2021 did the same thing right out of the gate, I believe it was actually a recall. Easy to replace and fixed it. Just an idea to look at.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also need to check to make sure the throttle linkages are returning to idle position properly, and that there are no fuel leaks inside the cowling.

DO NOT attempt to shift your engine at high RPM's like that. You WILL grenade the gearcase (eventually).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Also need to check to make sure the throttle linkages are returning to idle position properly, and that there are no fuel leaks inside the cowling.

DO NOT attempt to shift your engine at high RPM's like that. You WILL grenade the gearcase (eventually).
    Yep, wanted to minimize the grenadine. I dropped it off at the local shop. They are listed as a premier outboard so we'll see. They said backlog is 7-10 days.
    They had a crap load of Mercs being unloaded by a truck as I was leaving.

Now I did notice an oil slick out the back when I was observing the motor on the water. It might just be residue from lower unit change or oil spill from winterizing.

5. Member
    FWIW, on the first trip this year, my rig started fine and idled great at the ramp. At first take off, it still felt normal but after a few minutes it felt down on power. Stopped at my first stop and the idle stayed high.....~1800 rpm or so in neutral. I shut it off and restarted and while the idle RPM returned to normal, it had a distinct miss. Didn't run it much more that trip and changed the plugs when I got home. Has ran fine ever since. Cover your eyes Don, but although I only have 75 hours on it (I average 25 hours/yr) I was starting year 4 on the original plugs. My plan was to burn the fogging oil out and then replace them before the next time out. I waited too long. I'm curious if that turns out to be your issue too.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    FWIW, on the first trip this year, my rig started fine and idled great at the ramp. At first take off, it still felt normal but after a few minutes it felt down on power. Stopped at my first stop and the idle stayed high.....~1800 rpm or so in neutral. I shut it off and restarted and while the idle RPM returned to normal, it had a distinct miss. Didn't run it much more that trip and changed the plugs when I got home. Has ran fine ever since. Cover your eyes Don, but although I only have 75 hours on it (I average 25 hours/yr) I was starting year 4 on the original plugs. My plan was to burn the fogging oil out and then replace them before the next time out. I waited too long. I'm curious if that turns out to be your issue too.
    My motor has 44.5 hours on it. Do you have vesselview and did you have any faults showing?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Bassin Bob- I don't need to cover my eyes for that (have seen much worse). That being said- you were on borrowed time already.

Try to avoid multiple engines in the same thread as it can cause confusion (especially when they're completely different displacement/design).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Bassin Bob- I don't need to cover my eyes for that (have seen much worse). That being said- you were on borrowed time already.

Try to avoid multiple engines in the same thread as it can cause confusion (especially when they're completely different displacement/design).
    Don, is there an up to date service manual I can purchase for my motor? I'm finding manuals for the older reg 115 4strokes and the likes. Not sure if there's any difference really.

Also if it is the IAC, will that be covered under the Gold MPP? I don't know what an IAC is.
    Last edited by BoatNoobie; 05-12-2023 at 10:21 AM.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    8M0109954 is the latest/greatest manual for your engine model.

IAC (Idle Air Control Motor) is an electrical device that is not covered under Gold Product Protection Plans. Gold primarily covers major mechanical (essentially oil lubricated) components.

10. Member

I apologize for confusing the issue. Thought I was helping but see I was adding additional likely confusing info. I sincerely apologize
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

11. Member
    And it's the IAC valve.

I'm a bit annoyed with dealer.

When I dropped off the boat, I told them to go ahead and do the water pump too since I didn't do it yet. On the work order It was written down as "full service" + impeller. They told me 7-10 days. Yesterday was 3 weeks and nothing. So I called today and they were like the service rep should have called you. It's been done since last week...... Yeah no call.

The bill came out to a little over $1800.... They did the 300 hour service + the high idle diagnostic/repair.

I was like I only wanted the water pump done. But they said i signed up for the full service...... Wtf. I said all they other stuff done was brand new already. What a waste of money and materials. So I'm looking at the itemize bill.

IAV + 1 hr.

300 hour service was $1400. I questioned why there's 2 thermostats. The service manager said there's 1 on each side. Oh ok i didnt know. Then he came back 30 secs later and was wait, there's only 1. Said they have a new software and believes it got doubled up on it for some reason. I also pointed out there's 2 fuel filters showing. There was another thing doubled up. Don't recall what exactly it was.

The description list is weird. For example, "Filter-Fuel @2". In the quantity it lists 1. So in my opinion, it looks like a set of 2. But in my case, a total of 4 fuel filters but they said it's just listed weird. Same with the oil. Will show the gallons at GL@3 and the qts @6.

So it was still $1600 when all said and done. They said the motor sounds great now. I would hope so getting 300 service with only 44 hrs.

Can't wait to take it out next week. Hopefully the LU gears all intact. Lol

12. Member
    i would find another dealer next time
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    Not sure if I understood your post correctly, but I believe the Mercury maintenance schedule is 3 years or 300 hours, whichever comes first. So once 3 years has passed the 300 hour maintenance is due, even if the engine only had 10 hours on it.
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2020 View Post
    Not sure if I understood your post correctly, but I believe the Mercury maintenance schedule is 3 years or 300 hours, whichever comes first. So once 3 years has passed the 300 hour maintenance is due, even if the engine only had 10 hours on it.
    It was my fault for not understanding what I was signing up for and being more clear. This is the first time I've had any dealership do any maintenance service in the past 15 years or so. I've always done it myself.

Live and learn what not to do next time.

Just noticed something on the invoice. $100 for 4 spark plugs. I get markup for parts but whoa. Then I see the part number is different. 41-PZFR5F11. A search shows these as Platinum plugs. Are these appropriate for this motor? The Mercury's website, it lists the regular kind ZFR5F
    Last edited by BoatNoobie; 06-01-2023 at 10:40 PM.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie
    Filter-Fuel @2
    You can ignore the "@2". That merely indicates in Mercury's description what the minimum purchase quantity is to order the part. They are still sold in quantities of ONE (1). Same for the other items.

Your engine went into service in 8/2019, meaning it's 3 year / 300 hr Service (whichever occurs first) was due 8/2022 (even though it may have only had 44 hours). Respectfully: The parts and labor do not become less expensive because you used it less during the time period, they would be the same whether it was 3 years or whether it were 300 hrs.

No, your engine does not use the platinum plug. Dealer is going to lookup and use plugs under the Mercury Part Number as they are warranted by Mercury (in most cases, anyway).

16. Member
    This is an old thread and old issue is resolved but I have a question about Mercury authorized service centers. Are they suppose to use mercury/quicksilver parts or will they use any parts that's compatible?

I was doing my winterization and saw they used a smaller Sierra oil filter.

PXL_20231030_203905709.jpg

17. Member
    Likely using aftermarket parts to keep their prices down, but I wouldn’t put up with it if it was me! I guess that’s a good question to ask when you get your boat serviced at any dealership! What parts are you using and who makes them ?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The other possibility would be availability. I do know that a number of filters have been on backorder this summer/fall (we've had to use Quicksilver in many cases, which is perfectly acceptable since it's a product of Mercury Marine).

There were a couple that we had quite a challenge getting and I suspect this may have been one of them.

19. Member
    The other possibility would be availability. I do know that a number of filters have been on backorder this summer/fall (we've had to use Quicksilver in many cases, which is perfectly acceptable since it's a product of Mercury Marine).

There were a couple that we had quite a challenge getting and I suspect this may have been one of them.
    subaru dealers had to get gm and any other brand of oil filter for months this year as oem's were on back order
    MAGA

20. Member
    authorized dealers aren't under any obligation to use OEM parts.
    most will use OEM as the warranty is much better than after market.
    Covid supply issues have really screwed up the supply chain, and often we have to install what we can get.
    recently there we're no L6 oil filters OEM or aftermarket.We we're changing oil and leaving the old filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast