Puma STS and Lowrance Ghost owners need your help

I am about to order a boat. I’m trying to determine what trolling motor shaft length I will need. I don’t necessarily want to go with a 52” shaft unless I have to. Those that have the 47” shaft, I’m wondering how deep the trolling motor head is in the water and how rough does it have to get in order for the trolling motor blades to come out of the water. I primarily fish off shore at a lake in Texas and would never fish in really rough conditions that might exist at a St Claire for example.

Thanks for the help.

2. Member
    Mine is a 47” and it was still holding good with up to 25 mph wins up here in the Ozark’s. Headed north fish Smallies at the end of the month and it will get a bigger test.

3. Member
    Mine is a 47” and it was still holding good with up to 25 mph wins up here in the Ozark’s. Headed north fish Smallies at the end of the month and it will get a bigger test.

4. Member
    I have a 47" on my STS and have not needed to install the 52" at all...

5. Member
    I just wrapped up 4 days on St Clair in my Puma STS with 47” Ghost.

Memorial Day was rough due to the boat traffic. My trolling motor was coming out of the water often.

The other 3 days were probably as calm as the lake ever gets. I’d still get the occasional big rollers that would bring my trolling motor out of the water.

If I lived up here and fished it often, I’d have the longer shaft.
    2023 Puma STS

Assume you fish Choke. A 47” would do the trick there. If it gets windy enough you need a longer troller, I’m getting the heck off that lake. Got caught in storms a time or two there and did not care for it.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS