Thread: Hen size

Hen size

Here in Maine we can take two Toms in the spring and 5 birds of any gender identity in the fall (I'm gonna be looking for a non-binary). Just tossing out a number here, but if you consider 25# to be a big Tom, what would you consider to be a big hen?
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

14-15# kinda jake sizeish.

I consider a 22lb gobbler to be a big bird...I've put a lot of birds down and never seen anything bigger than 24...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

4. Member
    Matt, I haven't killed enough to establish a pattern. I hear 25# tom tossed around like guys talk about a 200# buck. I've read hens average about half the size of a tom but are there some chubby girls out there too? The toms around the house are running small this year. Maybe I should have been giving them premium birdseed instead of the bargain stuff
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

5. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    We have some big birds here in Iowa I believe the state record 35lbs and some change if I remember correctly without looking it up. My father in law has taken 2 birds just over 28lbs my biggest was 26 with a bow,
    LeaLea

Two years after the cicada hatch, Indiana sets a new record for spring harvest. 15,200 as of yesterday and still counting.

7. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    MI DNR only allows one bearded bird in the spring. In the fall you can shoot several birds of your choice if you buy the permits. They allow hunters to "purchase one license a day until quotas are met."

My two biggest birds were right at 26 - 1/2 pounds. I've never taken a hen, so I can't speak about their size. They definitely look under 20 lbs. around here.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

8. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    In Ky they appear less that’s half the size of a Tom. Smaller than jakes by a good bit.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

9. Member
    I dunno what your population is but I'd say pretty high since you can kill that many. We used to be able to kill 3. After about 10 years the decline is so bad...
    you will take pictures when you see one let alone kill one.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"