Thread: Tracker speed

Tracker speed

I bought a tracker pro crappie 175, I love this boat,it has a 25 mercury 4 stroke . On my shakedown cruise I ran 5 grand top. Speed 12 mph does this sound right?

2. Member
    Unless you can get it on plane that's all you're going to get.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    Unless you can get it on plane that's all you're going to get.
    This pretty much sums it up. Boats have been gaining weight for years so I imagine your 175 hull weight is not a light weight. 25 hp isn't a lot of push. On speed restricted lakes I'm sure it's great but for anything else it would drive me crazy to not be able to get on plane. Plus this might not be a concern but I wonder if pushing your boat with all that hull in the water (lots of resistance) at high rpms is going to hurt engine life.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    This pretty much sums it up. Boats have been gaining weight for years so I imagine your 175 hull weight is not a light weight. 25 hp isn't a lot of push. On speed restricted lakes I'm sure it's great but for anything else it would drive me crazy to not be able to get on plane. Plus this might not be a concern but I wonder if pushing your boat with all that hull in the water (lots of resistance) at high rpms is going to hurt engine life.
    Not if the prop is the proper pitch and diameter to put the engine in the proper rpm range. Most likely a 11" pitch, 10" in diameter or less for that setup. Probably gain a little speed.
    That engine most likely came stock with a 13" pitch prop.
    Last edited by BillsFan; 05-09-2023 at 05:30 PM.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    I bought a tracker pro crappie 175, I love this boat,it has a 25 mercury 4 stroke . On my shakedown cruise I ran 5 grand top. Speed 12 mph does this sound right?
    Do you know the recommended max rpm for the motor? If it’s around 6000 rpm a lower pitch prop might be enough to get you on plane and then you’d scoot.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Member
    I think it should do better than 12. I think the prop is too large. If I were you, I would go to the Tracker forum and ask the question there.. Maybe you can get lucky and find someone with the exact motor and boat. Also look at Facebook Tracker page.

We are all just giving opinions. Find someone with the same set-up and learn from their experience. I would think it should do better. Also, don't load it down with a bunch of stuff you don't need. Weight is critical on the aluminum hulls.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

7. Member
    Thanks to all. I think I will just fire up a Monte Cristo open a barley pop and cruise.lol