Thread: RT 188 springs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT 188 springs

Trailer only 8 years old and spring broke on the way to lake. Emergency fix and limped to lake. Towing company took trailer and replaced both springs and brought back to lake. Could of been a lot worse.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

2. Member
    Started researching earlier this year as I noticed gap between tires and fender getting smaller. Heavier springs installed and clearance now at an inch. It trailered home a lot better. Still fished all day. Don't wait for failure like I did.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

3. Member
    Went from 3 ply to 5 size spring. 5k rating now.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

4. Member
    How do you get a 5K rating by changing leaves?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Anyone with a 2013-2015 Ranger trailer under a RT188 who hasn’t already replaced their leaf springs should do so immediately. This is a common failure that can be catastrophic but is an easy DIY project. The failure rate is high for the original springs.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

I carry a piece of 4x4 for emergency use whenever I’m on the road and towing.
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

7. Member
    Tried that, pulled forward back axle moved back, needed something to strap axle to trailer.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Haggerty View Post
    How do you get a 5K rating by changing leaves?
    3 ply to 5 ply ,higher load rating
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jml View Post
    3 ply to 5 ply ,higher load rating
    The axle load rating doesn't change with higher load tires or springs.

Tried that, pulled forward back axle moved back, needed something to strap axle to trailer.
    When I broke a spring I was extremely fortunate as I was only going 3-4 mph as I pulled into a gas station. I used a rock as a spacer between the frame and axle and I think I used a few wraps of duct tape to keep the rock in place and drove a very slow six miles home. I suppose where the spring breaks would be important.

Trailer only 8 years old and spring broke on the way to lake. Emergency fix and limped to lake. Towing company took trailer and replaced both springs and brought back to lake. Could of been a lot worse.
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...=#post12958867
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

12. Member
    This sounds like something I need to look at and inspect. The boat is off the trailer right now at the marina boat slip and the trailer is just sitting there empty.

I do not know what I am doing or looking at but I have all the tools one could want and I know how to use them.

I do not know about trailers except that the boat sits on it when I tow. LOL. I need some help here please about what to look at and how to determine if I need to service something.....or just go ahead and replace them anyway...what to buy, where to buy, how to fix....and why carry a 4x4???

I am good at quite a few things but never did anything to a trailer except change a flat tire on one. Never had one break. Been towing stuff about 45 years. Had several boats. Never had any trailer trouble... need some help. My trailer was built by Ranger at the Flippin factory before they moved it. Thanks.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

13. Member
    First time also in over 45 years of towing boats I had a spring break. Glad somebody else repaired it. You tube shows what to do. Would be a lot easier with boat off. In hindsight I still would rather pay a shop than do it myself.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

First time also in over 45 years of towing boats I had a spring break. Glad somebody else repaired it. You tube shows what to do. Would be a lot easier with boat off. In hindsight I still would rather pay a shop than do it myself.
    We worry about bearings but not springs, that is for sure.

15. Member
    does the 178 have the same issue? I think my 2020 178 fenders sit low to the tire .

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    does the 178 have the same issue? I think my 2020 178 fenders sit low to the tire .
    Just because it's low doesn't mean that its gonna break

17. Member
    I have this age of Ranger trailer built in Flippin. The boat is off the trailer right now and in the slip so I can get to and see the trailer very well.

Is there something I should look for or inspect? Or should I go the preventative route and change them or have them changed? Are they cracking or what? Statements like the one above by Tcesni make me nervous. I don’t want road problems.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

18. Member
    I do not think you can tell if a spring will fail by looking at it. You really cannot get under the spring and inspect. I started looking at mine because I saw there was not much room between the fender and tire. Expensive mistake if your far from home. Lesson learned.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    I have this age of Ranger trailer built in Flippin. The boat is off the trailer right now and in the slip so I can get to and see the trailer very well.

Is there something I should look for or inspect? Or should I go the preventative route and change them or have them changed? Are they cracking or what? Statements like the one above by Tcesni make me nervous. I don’t want road problems.
    For me, there were not any visual clues to spring problems.
    My first experience was a broken spring while driving back from the lake. In retrospect, I remember hearing the spring leaf pop when it cracked 2 years prior to the complete failure. I investigated then but could not see anything. When it did fail, you could see rust about 3/4 across the width from the original crack.

During the time I used the trailer with the cracked spring, these were the symptoms:
    1) excessive tire wear on the inside of the tire.
    2) vibration at speed. Could have been from the tire wear. Changed it several times.
    3) Tire rubbing inside the fender evidenced by Marks not apparent during normal use.
    4) Starboard side of boat sitting low on the frame and rubbing the paint off by rubbing against the side guide.
    5) Starboard side of transom hitting the back cross member I assume when unloading. Evidenced by denting at edge of transom and paint scuffing.

I am embarrassed at my horrible job of identifying the root cause of the problem. I focused on tire balance, frame straightness and bunk brackets. I raised the starboard bunk and bent the side guide brackets to eliminate rubbing but I never thought to check the spring. Made a total mess of it.
    When the spring broke, the trailer sat down on the tire which blew and caught fire before I could get to the side of the road. I was freaked out and called my insurance which arranged for a wrecker. The process of winching the boat onto the bed of the wrecker bent the cross member of the trailer. That with the other damage lead to the decision to total the trailer.
    I now carry a short piece of 4x4 and winch straps in my truck. If this happens again, the 4x4 goes between the spring pad and axle to hold it up enough to limp home.

Second part of Saga:
    I bought a new trailer from Ranger, which was made by EZ-Loader, but after 6 months, I was experiencing excessive inside tire wear. My dealer also discovered tire marks inside the fenders and diagnosed the problem as weak springs. After several exchanges with EZ-Loader he was successful in getting them to replace both springs under warranty. No problems since.

I apologize for the length of this post, hopefully it will help someone that is having subtle symptoms but they can’t identify the cause.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 05-11-2023 at 03:34 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

20. Member
    Nice explanation. I also was having excessive tire wear.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast