Thread: Weak Transom

Weak Transom

Anyone in the forum had to rebuild transom. I have a 2001 201 Coosa and the transom is getting weak. Had a ride in some 5-6 footers on Pickwick last week and now I have some new cracks in corners of splash well. I want to save the old girl because its the best riding boat I have ever been in.

2. Member
    A buddy just did his Champion 206 a couple of months ago. Paid $5-6K. He was happy with the work done.

3. Member
    I thought 201 Coosa had no wood in them, so what is weakening the transom? How big of a JP do you have on it? that could be giving the weight of the motor leverage to flex the transom.

4. Member
    I am not sure if there is wood or not in it. I do know it has some serious flex now. I am pretty sure its an 8” JP. Its just a manual slidemaster. I am hoping to get some word from insurance here in the next week or two but either way I think I will rebuild it. Much cheaper then buying a new rig and its already setup just how I like it.

5. Member
    5-6k seems reasonable since I know its a ton of work.

I am betting insurance will say it is normal wear & tear on a 22 year old boat. You would have had to have some type and evidence of an impact for them to cover it. If a leaf spring broke on my 1994 Toyota pickup, I would not expect insurance to cover it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mfbassin View Post
    I am not sure if there is wood or not in it. I do know it has some serious flex now. I am pretty sure its an 8” JP. Its just a manual slidemaster. I am hoping to get some word from insurance here in the next week or two but either way I think I will rebuild it. Much cheaper then buying a new rig and its already setup just how I like it.
    Wow, if flex is that evident, it is a very serious problem. My best to you in getting it addressed, especially since you like this rig that much.

8. Member
    Had the transom rebuilt in my 2000 201D last year. Charged me $6k at Pros Choice Marine. Mine had wood so they replaced all of it with Coosa. If yours is a true Coosa I believe it shouldn't have any wood. I hit a stump and filed an insurance claim with Progressive and they pretty much told me that my boat was old so that's why the transom cracked when I hit a stump at 40 mph. Dropped them after I paid the $6k out of pocket. Hopefully you have better luck with insurance.
    2017 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    2017 Mercury 250 Pro XS

9. Member
    I hit an under water obstruction at Eufaula a couple years ago and fried my lower and progressive would not cover it either. They said it was die to normal ware and tare. I dropped them instantly. My friend owns a marine repair shop for small boats all the way up to Cigarette style race boats. He told me Progressive is hands down the worst Marine insurance. He said the deny 80% of claims.

Had to replace the one in my '98 when I had it. It cost right at $13,000 and insurance paid it all. This was in 2005, so the boat was not that old yet.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mfbassin View Post
    Progressive is hands down the worst Marine insurance. He said the deny 80% of claims.
    Progressive is also horrible to work with in the auto repair industry. Look into the type of people that run it...."Progressive"