Hydraulic Jackplate and motor mount position

Had the Bob's hyd jackplate installed recently, and they install the motor in the 3rd set of holes, which is where it was mounted with the Slidemaster, but also seems to be the recommened spot I found in a few threads as well. However, it does seem that the majority of the time I stay around 1 to 1.5 on the jackplate when running which results in the best performance. The guage range is 1-6, so is running this low the majority of the time normal?

I'm new to the hyd jackplace game, but would have expected to "normally" be running in the 2.5-3 range, thus being able to go lower for rough water, and go higher when trying to run around skinny water. But maybe I am mistaken.

I suppose the simple fix (if needed) would be to rais the motor on the jackplate, ie move from the 3rd set of hole to the 2nd set or even the top set, which effectively would raise the motor relative to jackplate position, allow more usable range. But would need to check/comfirm clearance for the hyd steering gear when tilted up, correct?

2. Member
    For comparison I will provide my setup and you can determine how it relates to what you're working with. I have a 2022 FXR21 and Bobs JP. My SHO250 is mounted on the third set of holes as well. My JP is currently set 1 dot above #2. I do not change it much either as most of the lakes I fish have sufficient depth to not have the need to raise it. I did play around with the height numerous times on the first few outings. Seemed like much higher caused my heat alarm to ring. I could probably squeeze one or two more dots but again, for me I don't have that need.

With this setup I often times run 3700-4000 RPM and trim is based on the needs of the day. I run around at this slow speed with zero issues and no porpoise issues at all if I keep trim down until the need arises to race somewhere.

I have attached a picture showing the height line on the JP. It looks to be 3/16th of an inch below 2.

Hope this helps you.
    original.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by weiglein4 View Post
    For comparison I will provide my setup and you can determine how it relates to what you're working with. I have a 2022 FXR21 and Bobs JP. My SHO250 is mounted on the third set of holes as well. My JP is currently set 1 dot above #2. I do not change it much either as most of the lakes I fish have sufficient depth to not have the need to raise it. I did play around with the height numerous times on the first few outings. Seemed like much higher caused my heat alarm to ring. I could probably squeeze one or two more dots but again, for me I don't have that need.

With this setup I often times run 3700-4000 RPM and trim is based on the needs of the day. I run around at this slow speed with zero issues and no porpoise issues at all if I keep trim down until the need arises to race somewhere.

I have attached a picture showing the height line on the JP. It looks to be 3/16th of an inch below 2.

Hope this helps you.
    original.jpg
    Thanks for the comparison... I was expecting to run best around 2-2.5" based on previous reports, so was surprised I was running better in the 1.5 range. It's not really an issue, just leaves less room to lower prop for rougher water. I mentioned in my other thread I am running all lithiums and dual screens and pole mount up front, so am likely a bit stern light compared to a stock ZX - maybe that's what the difference is.

4. Member
    Had a Bob's installed on my ZX225 last year and they installed on the top bolt holes. Seems to run best at 3 or 1 dot above 3 on the gauge

5. Member
    I prefer the extra ability to lower, than raise, so I try to get it mounted on the second set of holes, if clearance allows. Bob’s is usually good at clearance but you’d have to check to confirm. The extra 1” down is a lot more useful than the extra 1” up (which is likely never used).

Quote Originally Posted by rleague81 View Post
    Had a Bob's installed on my ZX225 last year and they installed on the top bolt holes. Seems to run best at 3 or 1 dot above 3 on the gauge
    This lines up with what I am seeing, figuring offset for being in no 3 hole - no issues tilting with motor in the top holes?

Shop said quick and easy to move it if I decide to.

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I prefer the extra ability to lower, than raise, so I try to get it mounted on the second set of holes, if clearance allows. Bob’s is usually good at clearance but you’d have to check to confirm. The extra 1” down is a lot more useful than the extra 1” up (which is likely never used).
    Yeah, would think a bit more down range would be nice to have, going to confirm clearance and go from there, but likely moving it up at least one or maybe both holes

8. Member
    Not sure if you could pull off 2 holes, but one hole would give you another 1” down, which comes in really handy in rough water.