Thread: Nitro quality

Nitro quality

I am looking at purchasing a newer boat for myself I have heard some not so good reviews on nitros just wanted to get some more options please on models 2013-2023 thx.

I came out of a 2010 Bass Cat PII and bought a 2018 Nitro Z19 last august. The boat has been really good and I have no real complaints - love the way it drives and fishes. It suits my style of fishing perfectly and is the right size boat for the lakes I fish. I have had some fasteners that have backed out or loosened up, but that's something that I should be checking on any boat. The Mercury motor has had a couple minor issues, but that's not a Nitro thing. And the trailer has had the fasteners that hold the wheel well backing come loose - one on each side, lol! I'm going to replace the screws with bolts and that should solve that issue. I might upgrade the shackles with the Dexter kit as I have heard that really helps the trailer ride and quiets down some of the noise.

All in all, I'm glad I made the purchase and it's been a great boat so far. I don't see any reason to expect anything major as far as quality issues with the boat.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

3. Member
    I’d buy my boat again, I had a trim switch on the Mercury go bad and had it replaced other then that boats been fine, I’m also looking at the dexter wet bolt kit to quit down the shackles when making low speed turns. I do feel like the Z19 is a good fit for me size wise like Ron said I feel it fits my fishing style. Last year I fished Sturgeon bay WI, Saint Clair MI, Pickwick AL, Kentucky lake KY, Lake Barkley KY, Vermilion lake MN, Patoka IN, Monroe IN and West Boggs IN so I do a far amount of hauling, launching and fishing different type lakes the boat and trailer seem like a good mix of length power and trailer ability to me.
    2020 Z19 Pro
    200hp Pro XS

We all know some one. I just have not had any major issues, and my dealer takes care of me.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I b

6. Member
    I bought a 16 Z20 that was a year old and ran it for 3 years no problems. I actually got more on trade than I paid for it. I bought a new Z21 in 19 from Pro Choice and the boat has been great. Only time its been in the shop was to change the Merc shift actuator which happens on all of them. I have 230 hours on this boat and I fish alot of tournaments and use it hard. Normal little up keep things and I service the trailer myself which with as many miles as I have towed it has to be done. The newer Nitro's are good boats. Like any brand there are always a few issues here and there but from all my years of fishing the major issues usually come from the person behind the wheel and how they treat a boat. Also boats have to be maintained. Bolts and screws checked, grease checked and fluids changed. What dealer rigs the boat will have alot to do with minor issues also. Pro Choice is worth the drive to buy a boat from.

Bought my first Nitro in 2006 (911 CDC). Ten years with no issue beyond bilge pump that went bad, and fuel line that had to be replaced. Traded that one in on my 2016 Z21. Only issues have been my jump switch and on-board charger. Both of which were easily enough fixed/replaced. I would buy another one.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

8. Member
    I've got a 2021 Z19 Pro and other than an issue with the trailer hubs (since been fixed by recalls), i've had zero issues with the boat. It is fast enough, handles great and does well in rough water. Could the fit & finish be better? Yes - but for the price I paid, you really can't beat it for a brand new bass boat. It really comes down to whether the better finish is worth the extra tens of thousands of dollars to you.

I personally saved that money and upgraded with Power Poles, Lithiums and nicer graphs. Good Luck!
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 6.2L Crew Cab
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro/ Mercury 200 ProXS 4s
    106SV Ultra - Helix 8 on the Console
    Helix 8/ Mega 360 - Garmin 126sv Ultra/ Live scope on the Bow
    Dual 8' Blades/ Ultrex 112/ Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    (2) Ionic 125ah/ (3) Ionic 50ah/ Power Pole Charge

I had a ranger z20 and now have a nitro z18. The z20 was a touch faster obviously and a bigger back deck but honestly I have had less issues with my nitro by far. Only thing I did was add the dexter kit within maybe a few months because the trailer popped a lot due to very cheap hardware but with that kit its night and day. I loved my ranger also but I do remember wanting to trade it within the dirst 2 months because I had so many issues. Ended up selling it and the axle welds broke on the next owner. So all of the trailer smack talk that nitro gets is deserved but everyone else has just as many issues. I'd buy a Nitro again in a heart beat.

10. Fishing is a Passion
    I cannot speak to the years you are speaking of, but my 2010 z8 was a good boat. I am looking at the Z19 and an entry level boat with a single axle trailer. You then have the option to add what you want. I would change the trailer and upgrade the trolling motor to a fortrex. Another 3k

https://www.nitro.com/bass/z19.html
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turboss08 View Post
    I've got a 2021 Z19 Pro and other than an issue with the trailer hubs (since been fixed by recalls), i've had zero issues with the boat. It is fast enough, handles great and does well in rough water. Could the fit & finish be better? Yes - but for the price I paid, you really can't beat it for a brand new bass boat. It really comes down to whether the better finish is worth the extra tens of thousands of dollars to you.

I personally saved that money and upgraded with Power Poles, Lithiums and nicer graphs. Good Luck!
    Agreed 100%, actually having this discussion with my brother. I have a 2022 Z20, some very minor fit and finish issues with gel coat etc if you really look. I definitely just completed the Dexter EZ Flex kit and has made a world of diff pulling it and also the noise. I dont fish the tournament circuit so I have more opportunity to not beat the boat to pieces also. Love my dads ranger but cant see dropping another close to 30k for mostly bare boat.

Id buy again. My 2015 has needed some tlc like adding glue on carpet (rod ramp area) or to hold foam in the lids. But all in all the tiny things i have done in 8 years to the "boat" are nothing negative. Now sure i have spent thousands on the outboard but thats how she goes and not part of the boat haha. Also not sure how happy i would be with bass pro doing the tlc on the boat but i bet any reputable dealer will do it for you if your the type to pay it out

13. Member
    Ran a 2018 Z20 for almost 4 years with zero complaints as far as the boat and trailer were concerned. Had nothing but issues with the merc until it finally let go. Otherwise, the boat was super solid. No complaints other than the ride being a little rough. But storage, live wells and fishability were amazing.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20

14. Member
    I’m in my 3rd Nitro and really like it, 2022 Z21XL, best riding boat I’ve had including Stratos 201,and a Champion 205. Huge deck, big cooler, and 2 day boxes up front are really nice.

15. Member
    I have a 1996 model year Nitro 896 that I bought new from a dealer in 1998. I have been through multiple outboards with the same boat. Years ago, Nitro had a bad name for quality, but I don't really think that had to do with build quality. The boat brands that cost way more came with way better customer support. I learned a long time ago that it's faster and less annoying to fix little stuff myself. If you fix all of the little annoying things that break on boats yourself, you won't be disappointed with a Nitro. You'll also spend way less money. I run my boat hard in the California Delta, in big waves, rain or shine. Haven't had any major stuff on the boat break, just goofy little stuff I fixed myself. What still blows my mind is this old 896 with a 200 is just as fast as a lot of new, expensive boats with 250s on 'em.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2004 Optimax S/N: 0T795443

16. Member
    Love the boat, motor, etc. Dislike the trailer. In my second Nitro, and I'd probably buy another one in about a year when time for a new one.