Thread: switching oils

switching oils

I am running a 2005 max 200 ox66 that has ran its entire 430 hours on yamalube (ignition hours). The yamalube is kinda hard to get around here and am only able to make it to the marina on Saturdays to get it. Will switching to a pennzoil or amsoil negatively affect the reliability at this point in the motors life? also a gallon of yamalube is 55$ and sure doesn't last long!

2. Member
    I have been using Pennzoil ELF in my OX66 since I bought it from a friend 5 years ago since that was what he had been using
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    Just curious if switching to amsoil will throw the motor off at this point.

4. Member
    no info on if switching oils is bad for the motor at this point?

5. Member
    It will not hurt anything. If you are concerned run your tank down low before you fill it up. I switched from Quicksilver Premium Plus to the Bass Pro Semi Synthetic Blend for my 225OX66 earlier this year when the Quicksilver went to $40 a gallon. Bought two cases and am down to my last gallon. The Bass Pro smells terrible when it burns so I am switching to Penzoil for my smoking 2 stroke. Hopefully it smells a little better. Nothing like the smell of a two stroke at dawn. Smells like victory. Everything has gone sky high. Just bought two quarts of the Quicksilver high performance gear lube. $20 a quart. Double what I paid just over a year ago. The oil companies don’t make enough.

I think you will like a synthetic or synthetic blend better than the Yamalube which in my experience did not burn very clean.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 05-12-2023 at 04:23 PM.

6. Member
    I buy my yamalube 2m from leaders rpm. $130 4 gallons

7. Member
    I ran yamalube in my 04 -225 until rebuild warranty was up and switched to Amsoil years ago, no problems and no carbon!!

8. Member
    I switched to Amsoil years ago after warranty on my 2008 Vmax. Much cleaner than yamalube and no carbon buildup on plugs.