Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Sharing maps seems to be a heavy load for the Ethernet network. Do we need that sharing on 4 or 5 units at the same time? Having the ability to share all this stuff now available on Ethernet is nice to have that ability, but with the present hardware we may have to think what we actually use at the same time. Sharing everything all the time seems to be an issue!
    I have only used 2 finders at a time and can’t really do much experimenting, but perhaps we can figure out exactly how far to push this OBN thing. While multiple Switches may help I think the actual bandwidth of the network may still be limiting. Some network guru might be able to breakdown what features are hogging the network. It is above my pay grade, I have been retired for 22 years and my info is over the hill. I have been hoping for expertise to come to HB but we have have to figure it out ourselves it seems. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

2. Member
    Well, ethernet is ethernet. 100mb or 1 gig. It does what it does, pass Info packets. Remember, solix runs on Linux software. If you hose the coding, you can create a multitude of problems. The more you ask of it, the crazier it can act. My guess would be humminbird is running 100mb. But that's a guess. It could be 10mb.

3. Member
    The current enet switch is the second generation.( I think close to 10 years ago) I have never seen a speed mentioned on either one. It does seem like it has become too slow for all the new things you can pile on. I would think a network expert could hang a sniffer or whatever is the current tool to evaluate the biggest bandwidth hog and maybe a workaround could be used. The new maps with more options may just be the straw that did it. It seems the more we add the more problems are apparent. If my Enet info is still good then I am forgetting some of it. Bob

4. Member
    I run two solix 12 G3s with no 5 port box and have similar issues. Got GPS sharing issues, map sharing issues, Heading issues, gps position issues. I can’t even fish offshore with confidence that I’m even throwing at my waypoint. I can change my settings for different things and the unit will change them back without you knowing. Thing has a mind if it’s own. I’ve spent hours and hours reading manuals, changin settings. Etc. etc.. It’s bad software that is buggy as heck. It’s a bummer too cause when the units work, it’s a very capable system but you just can’t depend on it to work when you need it.

5. Member
    I would suspect your global settings.(you change on one and it changes the other unit) It can be confusing, Bob

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I would suspect your global settings.(you change on one and it changes the other unit) It can be confusing, Bob
    Bob, it’s not the global settings. Mine do it even if you unplug the Ethernet. You can turn global off on mine and it still shares everything. Like I said,it’s crappy software, processors, and programming. There is no fix for it.

7. Member
    I do not have those issues, but I also do not have G3’s. I do have the latest release which has other issues. I have not heard those type issues talked about much anymore.
    Afterthought, you do use the power button on the unit to power them off, correct? Much like a PC you can have issues if you shut off power (main panel switch)
    Last edited by bobcoy; 05-24-2023 at 07:02 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12