Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solix g2 networking issues

My set up is a solix 15 at the dash, solix 10 and helix 12 up front, with link trolling motor and mega live. Currently using all 5 ports of the ethernet hub. All 3 fish finders are wired directly to battery with sonar pros harness.

I'm having issues with the solix 10 up front losing sonar source(si&di), mega live, and trolling motor. In no particular order, randomly. I have isolated it to this unit, nothin else is losing network from what I have seen. I have tried multiple things, down to also buying a new ethernet wire.

My question is, is it possible the unit itself is at fault?

Thanks!

Probably your issue is using all 5 ports for devices. May have better results with two Switches.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I have tried this. I unhooked the trolling motor from the #5 slot. Problem still persists

4. Member
    My Solix 10 up front is doing the same, I only have it linked to another Solix. It is random as to when it does it as well. A friend of mine has the same issue with his Solix's. Not sure what software he is running, but I am on 4.130, with a brand new ethernet cable.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

5. Member
    Same here, it has done it off and on for the past year with different software updates...but it is unbearable now, not sure if its coincidence or not.

6. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    It's always possible that the unit itself is at fault but, more times than not, it isn't the unit but some other external factor... bad wiring or weak battery resulting in low voltage, overloaded switch, or something else.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

7. Member
    09 do you ever loose 2d? Now your going to hear lots of different solutions here. But if you can afford it, buy another ethernet switch. One other thing you can do, is to ensure everything is turned on, you can reset the whole system. I know it's a pain in the butt. But reset all units to default and then run the network setting. Run the network setting from the dash unit. Say a prayer and confirm you see all head units, trolling motor and live. Just like a Computer, sometimes it. Needs a fresh reboot. Be sure to save any tracks or waypoints before the reset. Good luck

8. Member
    I have been fighting this same issue all spring.
    It actually began two years ago but I didnt realize then what was going on.
    It would randomly lose the heading sensor, stop sharing the map chip, lose sonar source, etc.)
    I just replaced all graphs with Gen-3's as well as the network hub and it will not stay in sync.
    My problems seemed to get worse with the 4.13 software update to my Gen 2's and new Gen 3's.

I dropped back to just two graphs and the trolling motor and the network still drops out randomly.
    So I do not beleive it is a overloaded network issue.

The boat was rewired with 8 gauge wire two years ago.
    All graphs ready steady 12.4 to 12.6 volts.
    Issue occurs with just two graphs and trolling motor powered.
    Lithium 100ah battery so no shortage of power.
    Last edited by Enduro67; 05-08-2023 at 03:10 PM.

9. Member
    I was having this as well randomly with my Solix G2 units. I just bit the bullet and bought a Lakemaster chip for the other unit as well.

I never really shared sonar, so no issues there. And I have no had any issues with losing the iPilot Link connection. Just frozen or losing shared maps.

10. Member
    Update: I tried a few thing humminbird asked me to try to no avail, kept loosing sonar source at bow solix 10. I then directly connected the solix 10 and solix 15 via ethernet cables in my garage. I thought all was good, no lost sonar source, I decided to gently tap on the solix 10 up front to simulate running from spot to spot, sonar source lost! It has to be this unit? Am I correct in my diagnosis?

Thanks,
    Aaron

11. Member
    Any thoughts?

12. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Your diagnosis could be correct. Something could be loose on the inside of the unit. These things take a beating on the water.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

13. Member
    There other post about losing sonar sources. I believe a lot of people are having this issue with unstable network. I still believe its software. I posted a long thread on what they had me do as how humminbird wanted me to connect things and exact order to have them plugged in to 5 port box. Here is link with pictures. https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...625&highlight=

14. Member
    Has any of this helped you cougar? Mine really seems isolated to my solix 10 g2 from what they had me try so far, and from past experiences

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster09 View Post
    Has any of this helped you cougar? Mine really seems isolated to my solix 10 g2 from what they had me try so far, and from past experiences
    As far as dropping sonar sources / lost yes for the most part but still have chart sharing issue where chart will go black screen and Apex units running really slow and or complete freezing up with latest software.

16. Member
    Give this a shot fellas. The ethernet switch is not very robust. If you put too much on it at once, it can and will cause network issues. "Most network issues begin and end with the 5 port switch. This is a workaround that has worked for many. Send power to your switch, and any other peripherals such as Mega 360 or Mega Live. Start on any pre-launch activities that you have to do, giving them a few minutes to sync. Then start your first graph, allow it to fully power before moving on to the next and the next if you have others. If this works for you, this is how you need to start your network going forward".
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    Give this a shot fellas. The ethernet switch is not very robust. If you put too much on it at once, it can and will cause network issues. "Most network issues begin and end with the 5 port switch. This is a workaround that has worked for many. Send power to your switch, and any other peripherals such as Mega 360 or Mega Live. Start on any pre-launch activities that you have to do, giving them a few minutes to sync. Then start your first graph, allow it to fully power before moving on to the next and the next if you have others. If this works for you, this is how you need to start your network going forward".
    I second this proposal. This is how I have my system configured. Ethernet switch, M360, Target lock and Mega Live all get power before any graph. I then switch on Trolling motor. Let these devices sit for 2+ minutes then start my graph which has TM/M360 (master) and let it fully boot. Then I start my console graph.

all this being said, and I would not suggest failing touch screen is your issue. Both my graphs had issues with failed (failing) touch screens. The symptoms of these failing screens appeared like networking issues and the two systems communicating. What I surmise is that the boot process and exception handling of my solix units wasn’t robust so if the touch screen failed during boot it had a trickle down effect. I came to this conclusion after having both units touch screens replaced and then my system just worked as expected from a connection syncing stand point. I too was thinking something was loose. It is no doubt absolutely confusing to attempt to apply logic to these symptoms. It was through this troubleshooting process I came to this boot up process. Starting the mega360 attached graph first is per the manual.
    Last edited by jjnssn; 05-20-2023 at 07:41 AM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduro67 View Post
    I have been fighting this same issue all spring.
    It actually began two years ago but I didnt realize then what was going on.
    It would randomly lose the heading sensor, stop sharing the map chip, lose sonar source, etc.)
    I just replaced all graphs with Gen-3's as well as the network hub and it will not stay in sync.
    My problems seemed to get worse with the 4.13 software update to my Gen 2's and new Gen 3's.

I dropped back to just two graphs and the trolling motor and the network still drops out randomly.
    So I do not beleive it is a overloaded network issue.

The boat was rewired with 8 gauge wire two years ago.
    All graphs ready steady 12.4 to 12.6 volts.
    Issue occurs with just two graphs and trolling motor powered.
    Lithium 100ah battery so no shortage of power.
    This is me, too. Running 4 Solix's. Lose Mega 360, heading sensors, Ultrex, etc. Running 2 Hubs, 4 gauge wire to dedicated fuse panel powered by 2 - 100 amp lithiums. I think it's Humminbird's update.

19. Member
    I had less trouble and better performance out of my 998s and 1198s.

20. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim285pro View Post
    I had less trouble and better performance out of my 998s and 1198s.
    Yes, those were simpler times. Simpler times means less things to go wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast