2019 250 ProXS Fault

2019 250 Proxs 4S
    Serial number 2B586083

Toward the end of about a 20 mile run engine lost power and had an intermittent alarm. Would still run but with low RPMs. Checked my vessel view mobile app and it showed the below alarm. Let the motor cool for a minute and took off, got to around 6,000 RPMs and it came back. Let it cool for 10 min or so and then took back off. No issues the rest of the day even after another 20 mile run back. Maybe I was trimmed up too high and it got an over temp? Strange the fault mentioned exhaust temp and never came back. I was fishing some skinny water first thing in the morning and certainly could have picked something up before the long run. Thanks for any thoughts or feedback!

C5547BE2-C88C-4B19-8E2A-360E13136F33.png

2. Member
    two filter likely one or both have something in them. would check there first good video for everyone to see how easy it is to do!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See the FAQ Section- and clean the STRAINERS on the back of the engine.

Additionally: Keep in mind that anything found there WENT THROUGH THE WATER PUMP. Not a bad idea to plan to replace the impeller and gasket as well.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I cleaned the filters a week ago and didn't find too much in them. It was easy to do and glad to know how to do that now.

I fished all day this past Friday, made some 10-20 mile runs, no issues. BFL tournament on Saturday and running to my first spot in the morning and it happened again. Probably 15 miles or so into the take off run. I stopped (letting a bunch of boats past me ) and let it cool for 10 min or so. Took back off and had no issues the rest of the day.

Any ideas? I have the impeller changed every year just as a precaution and this one was done back in March. No issues all spring until the recent issue. Is the exhaust over temp alarm something other than a typical overheat?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is another exhaust strainer down low in the exhaust, the port side cowling must be removed to get to it, remove it, and clean it. If you picked up a bunch of stuff it may be restricted or clogged.

I would get this checked right away. Anyone that has had their hands into the hoses, pipes and fittings involved understands that you absolutely do NOT want to be overheating the exhaust. Potentially could be very costly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks Don! I'll probably leave this to the experts and get this into the shop.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably a wise move.