Thread: Handicap

Handicap

I have gone from a 7.8 index to a 12 in less than 6 weeks as I get some rounds in that knock off my June/July of 2022 rounds before I broke my toe in early August with surgery. Didn't play golf hardly at all through December. Finally got a few rounds to prep for Hawaii trip in February and did okay. I recorded all my scores on GHIN.

Worked out regularly in February and March and regained some strength and flexibility. I finally got back to some golf in April/May and the index has zoomed upward in short order. Scores ranged from 97 to 82. I have 13 rounds recorded on the new golf course. It will be interesting to see if I can get it back to single digit in a similar time period.

A week ago I played 4 rounds in a row and then last week only played 2 days in a 2 day tournament after fishing 3 days.
    The last day I hit 13 fairways but only 3 greens.

Yesterday I focused on hitting greens and got 6 and shot 43/38. I put the ball on the fringe on 3 greens. 29 putts was the key to a lower round that day mostly due to stellar chipping.
    One birdie on the No. 1 handicap hole also helped.
    I will play again today and see what we get.
    Fishing and golf next week may be delayed as forecasts says 5 days of thunderstorms some severe.

Anyone on here have any experiences in losing or regaining their old handicaps?

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    So what's causing your scores to increase? Is it learning to play in different type conditions in Texas? Penalty shots? Or is your game just coming out of hibernation? I'd track the next couple of rounds. Fairways hit, GIR, putting, and up and downs. Take notes of holes your struggled on and why. You might want to go take a lesson to help you speed up the process.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    I have gone from a 7.8 index to a 12 in less than 6 weeks as I get some rounds in that knock off my June/July of 2022 rounds before I broke my toe in early August with surgery. Didn't play golf hardly at all through December. Finally got a few rounds to prep for Hawaii trip in February and did okay. I recorded all my scores on GHIN.

Worked out regularly in February and March and regained some strength and flexibility. I finally got back to some golf in April/May and the index has zoomed upward in short order. Scores ranged from 97 to 82. I have 13 rounds recorded on the new golf course. It will be interesting to see if I can get it back to single digit in a similar time period.

A week ago I played 4 rounds in a row and then last week only played 2 days in a 2 day tournament after fishing 3 days.
    The last day I hit 13 fairways but only 3 greens.

Yesterday I focused on hitting greens and got 6 and shot 43/38. I put the ball on the fringe on 3 greens. 29 putts was the key to a lower round that day mostly due to stellar chipping.
    One birdie on the No. 1 handicap hole also helped.
    I will play again today and see what we get.
    Fishing and golf next week may be delayed as forecasts says 5 days of thunderstorms some severe.

Anyone on here have any experiences in losing or regaining their old handicaps?
    My short game (chipping/putting) generally goes when I havent played for a few months. Will cause a 5-6 stroke difference during a round.

4. Member
    I do track my rounds. Missed greens is the big one.

Yesterday provided my first multiple birdie round-3 on the front 9 including the No. 1 handicap hole second day in a row and 1 on the back.
    But 8 over on the 4 par 3's as I dumped shots every way possible.
    So progress is being made.
    It is just taking a little longer to get my irons dialed in.
    28 putts, which is pretty good for me.
    Chipped fairly well with one exception and one birdie was a tough downhill chip-in from about 15 feet.
    I do spend a little time usually putting and chipping before the rounds.
    38/42 for an 80. Low round so far this year.

I am coming off a 7 month layoff which is not normal for me. New course, tricky greens with lots of break, some that you can't see but have to learn.
    So, my handicap has been skyrocketing rather quickly. That is unusual for me to have that much change so quickly. Now it is starting to creep downward for the first time. But as I understand the new handicap system, it is designed to emphasize the near term scores. My track record with it seems to support that as of now. But what it took was enough rounds current to replace the old ones that were almost a year old. Same as before but seemed to really shoot up after I got all of last years off the card.

5. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Sounds like its just a combination of lay off and a new course. I wouldn't worry too much about it then.

6. Member
    Not worried at all. Just interested in the GHIN factor under the new system.
    I have posted an 82 and 80 from Friday and Sunday.
    My index has dropped for the first time from 12 to 11.5.
    That is pretty quick for a half stroke drop.
    Handicaps only changed once a month under the old system I think. Maybe that is why all of this change so quickly up and now back down (hopefully) is somewhat new for me.
    My goal is to get into the 70's with some regularity and regain a single digit handicap and catch a 10lb bass!

7. Member
    Great start to my round with 7 greens and 7 pars. Then I hit a wall that was inexplicable and finally I think it was lack of food as I only had coffee before the round. 12 over for the next 7 holes and even over the last 4 holes.

so back to GHIN when a 82 was posted after adjusting my quadruple to a mere triple on no. 9 I see a note on GHIN that says a “soft cap has been applied after a handicap has been increased by more than 3 strokes over the low handicap in effect at the time the score is posted”. What is this? Anyone know? I guess I need to dig into the GHIN info to figure this stuff out.

8. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I wish I could tell ya. I haven't had a handicap, other than golf, for over 25 years.

9. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    My goal is to get into the 70's with some regularity and regain a single digit handicap and catch a 10lb bass!
    The 10 lb bass was a tougher goal for me.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

10. Fishing is a Passion
    The new GHIN system is now taking the best 8 scores from your previous 20 rounds. There are many factors such as a competition round, Weather- 30 MPH winds, rain etc. They are trying to make it fair. Where it is not, is the person that does not turn in all the scores.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

11. Member
    I am headed in the right direction. Down from a 12 index to 10.5 in 4 weeks as I get more rounds in. Knocked off two 97s from early march from my latest 20 rounds. I thought somehow all 20 were used. Guess not-but when those two scores disappeared for some low 80s and a couple of rounds in the 70s the drop occurred. Now my last big week of fishing culminates in the Skeeter Owners Tournament on Lake Fork this weekend. Then I will back off of the fishing to once or twice a week and focus on the golf.
    Just played in the 9 hole weekly men's league match play. Lost 5 1/2 to 3/12 but shot 41 with a birdie on the No. 1 Handicap hole. Bad start with two bogies and lost both holes. Held my own from there. Had already played 18 in the morning and didn't play well to shoot 86. I have to work on iron accuracy and putting on newly sanded greens. Greens got faster but less break. Just when I get used to the greens they change them. At least they are trying to improve them. Golf is a constant challenge which is why I enjoy it.

12. Fishing is a Passion
    Two years ago I left a Mom and Pop course with maybe 8 on the green stimpmeter to a Donald Ross course with no less than 11 all year. Talk about 3 putts for almost a year. Play better on them but still not good. I have learned to be short on my shots to all greens, if long almost auto double bogey. If you want GHIN will take your nine hole scores and match them for 18 hole scores. Played in a group yesterday where my 6 over 77 was the worst score. Had a 2 over, a 1 under and a 5 under. Man was that fun watching the under par games. Good luck at the Skeeter Tourney.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

13. Member
    Dang, that is some good golf in that group.
    Short is the rule on fast greens and especially those with slope.
    Ours are very fast with lots of slope as well.

Fishing was tough in the Skeeter.
    We fished frogs early and had some great bites, one with a big ol head clear out of the water on the bite but hook up ratio sucked. I caught two the first day.
    None second day fishing shallow even though we saw a lot of fish activity in the weeds around us. Probably hitting very small shad in there from what we could tell.
    We tried some deep later but fishing was off for us and everyone we talked to.
    But obviously someone was on the big bites!
    I am taking a two week fishing break and will work on the golf before the club championships in two weeks.
    Hope I can get my game in shape.