2017 Triton 20 TRX - Boat Porpoising slow speeds; 4 blade prop?

Hey guys. I’m new to this bass boat stuff. My boat has a 250 optimax on it and hasn’t been a problem with just me and the boy. Yesterday I took out everyone: wife and 2 kids (8 and 3 y.o). The boat handled noticeably different for obvious reasons. Took quite a bit to get on plane. I’m currently running a 3 blade prop. I’m not sure on specifics of it at this very moment, so this question is just a general one for the moment. Once we got on plane, I was trying to take it easy with the speed but was struggling mightily with porpoising. The water had some chop but nothing bad. Now, this could just have been crappy driving by me, but I’m wondering whether a 4 blade would be better when running with the family? Would it help me pop up on plane faster? Would I be able to maintain a bit slower speed with it and not bounce as bad?

Just for the record, when we took off for the ramp at the end of the day, I just drove the boat and didn’t worry about slower speed (scared wife) and I was able to smooth the ride out quite a bit.

2. Member
    A four blade prop should help.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    Trim down to stop the porpoising as you slow down. Four blade prob will help the holeshot with more grab but not sure it has anything to do with the porpoising.
    2003 Triton TR186
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP
    Garmin Graphs and LS
    MK Ultrex 24v 80lb
    All Aboard Marine Transducer Pole
    Power Pole 8' Pro Series II Black
    2017 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain

4. Member
    Yeah the porpoising could have been just bad driving on my part as I’m still
    learning and the boat behavior was quite a bit different with a full load vs what I’m used to. I think I was going a bit too slow to stay comfortably on plane. Once I said screw it and got up in the 40’ish mph hour range, it was much smoother. The waves also died down at that point. However, shouldn’t the 4 blade allow me to plane out at a slower speed?

5. Member
    Need more info before I can offer advice:

Current Prop: model, condition, pitch, and if Mercury Prop what is PVS plug configuration.

WOT RPM:

RPM on holeshot breakover when solo/ w/ family

Jackplate: Setback, hydraulic/ manual

Di not switch from 3 to 4 blade prop w/out identifying the actual performance issues and addressing them…..doing so, you could just waste money.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

6. Member
    My TR20 porpoises as well when I slow down. You have to trim down until it stops. I’m not sure the prop has that much affect. I have run 3 and 4 blade props and both do the same thing until I get it trimmed properly.

7. Member
    Usually porpoising means you have to much trim adjusted for your speed. Either speed up or trim down a tiny bit and it should work itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by jrh_67 View Post
    Usually porpoising means you have to much trim adjusted for your speed. Either speed up or trim down a tiny bit and it should work itself out.
    Yep, what these guys said and I will add that these boats aren't really intended to go slow. Some time, I'll get behind some slower boat in a tight spot on the lake, and it can be hard to stay on plane at the lower speeds.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    A bailey hydrofoil would help a lot. Unfortunately after the sad news i dont know if anyone has any back stock.

10. Member
    I agree with the consensus. Trim down. I don't get it much with mine but I have boat to leverage out of the water so my prop does not work as hard to keep me on plane regardless of my load.

I also have the Bailey Hydrofoil and never had an issue at all with any prop at any speeds.
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    A bailey hydrofoil would help a lot. Unfortunately after the sad news i dont know if anyone has any back stock.
    That should be totally unnecessary on his boat unless something is completely wrong with the rig.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

12. Member
    The slowest I can go is about 30 mph but have to trim down considerably. It takes some time to learn how to balance at that slow of a speed. Granted, it takes some time for the women folk to get used to but the ride will be most comfortable at or above 40 mph. It feels fast but the wife will get used to it. Much better gas mileage as well. Keep taking her and she’ll get used to it. Your boat will easily go well over 70. Eventually, you’ll learn to love it………oh, you’ll have to learn about chine walk too! ��

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    That should be totally unnecessary on his boat unless something is completely wrong with the rig.
    When i had a bailey hydrofoil on my hpdi it lowered my slow planing speed from 32mph to 20mph. No porpsising and could glide along on plane at that speed. Just a suggestion.

14. Member
    Bailey foils work…..even on well set-up boats. When I added talons I rebalanced the load, & prop tested 6 different props (and multiple pvs plug combos and ptp w/ hydraulic jackplate). After less than satisfactory results and numerous recommendations from BBCers…..I contacted Chris Bailey & discussed my performance loss & what testing I had done. At his suggestion I tested a hydrofoil (a no drill plastic one) and had very good results. So….I bought a SS foil from Chris and bingo…..tested with my original 26p tempest plus & regained 100% of my performance, got a much better holeshot & can now run on plane at 16 mph.

Is it the answer for everyone….of course not….but it worked for me.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC