Kllr bee

Here's one I have never heard before.

I went to the lake last night for my 300xs's 13 birthday. I came off plane to go under a bridge and out the other side I hit the gas and she gurgled and stumbled for the first 3 tries. REMEMBER I SAID 13TH BIRTHDAY. Forth try it planed out so I Immediately head for the ramp. Ran ok but would stumble if I tried to go past 4000 and gas gauge was dropping fast. When I got to no wake zone and came off plane motor died dead as a doornail and when I tried to restart it would rev to the over rev horn and shut off. Had to winch on trailer. I couldn't understand why so I pulled the cowl to find fuel everywhere under the cowl. Found the culprit. WATER IN FUEL SENSOR HAD COME APART AND IT WAS SHOVING ALL THE FUEL OUT THE SENSOR HOLE.
    Totally new one on me but you know how lucky number 13 does you!!!!
    Richard aka Kllr Bee

2. Member
    Ain't life grand? Sorry about your luck. T

Richard that is a common failure, usually at about 10 years old, I keep three on hand at all times.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Kllr bee
    Ok. I'm about a month away from a 300r so I won't need another one I hope.
    Richard aka Kllr Bee

5. Member
    250 pro xs. 2b116638

What is the part number. Think I’m going to change mine. Thx

Quicksilver #8M0021043
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Thank you Leon

8. Member
    WARNING;;; this failure can cause thermal activity and is quite common and non ethanol fuel will not save it ,, check this out can yall believe i had a guy ( very well respected high post count contributor in 3.0L forum ) had this do this on his engine the other day (13 year old too ) thought it might be under warranty he wasn't serious
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good one, Joe.

Yes, this is something I've tried to make a habit of inspecting when servicing engines as they do appear to deteriorate and come apart (or leak) somewhere around the 10 year mark.

Richard- good catch. Unmetered fuel vapor makes for a very rich engine (plus a high risk of something Smokey the Bear did NOT refer to as a "thermal event").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Yep, just replaced mine 3 weeks ago. Centered deteriorated, wires came out to include the fuel. Replaced all is good. No thermal event took place.

11. Member
    they feel soft or spongey better get one pronto
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    WARNING;;; this failure can cause thermal activity and is quite common and non ethanol fuel will not save it ,, check this out can yall believe i had a guy ( very well respected high post count contributor in 3.0L forum ) had this do this on his engine the other day (13 year old too ) thought it might be under warranty he wasn't serious
    Actually, it will be 17 years old in July.....

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

13. Member