2023, 250SS/625 Prop Testing…

Will update as I go so others don’t have to go through this.

Suzuki 4 blade 28p (made by Powertech?) 65 mph loaded if I remember correctly. IDK for sure since I took it off before really checking. 70mph unloaded. RPM unknown since gauge was not working at that time. Moderate lift. Fast out of hole.

Solas Scorpion 27p 6100 RPM 71mph good lift. Just ok out of hole.

Powertech BRV-3 28p 6100rpm 65 mph would not lift bow at all. Slow out of hole.

Going to put Solas back on and send back Powertech so they can make adjustments or a different prop or whatever to get me closer to the Solas performance.

Hoping to find the right combo that gets me a little more speed/performance. Will update as soon as I try something else.

Update:

Solas Scorpion 28. Much faster at lower RPM. Takes longer to get higher RPM. Got 6000 RPM 71mph. Played around with the jackplate between 0 and 3. 0 is very mushy and 3 is rather stiff. Trim hard to know exactly with Suzuki digital gauge. Just have to go by feel. I feel if the Scorpion came in a 29 or 30 I could get even more but it doesn't Hole shot would suck but the motor could handle it just fine I think.

Update: Solas Scorpion 28. After running it hard 6 days on the Delta here are the results. I was getting 73mph at 5900 RPM. 71 Tournament load. If I had a longer stretch and less wind and waves and cooler weather (90's) I am sure I could get more out of it loaded and even more alone with a light load. At 73 there was maybe a tiny bit of chine walk. Honestly idk as my brain/muscle memory just auto corrects this and I don't notice it much anymore.

This prop also handled very rough water well.
    Last edited by ZethKinnettFishing; 05-21-2023 at 07:25 PM.

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    You have a ton of slip. What was your prop shaft height?

I am going through the same quest with a 650. I've heard from numerous people that the Solas Scorpion was the best performance prop for Suzuki's and Blazers. I haven't tried one yet. I did get my standard Suzuki 4 blade powertech prop worked by Mark Croxton this winter. I should be able to test it out this coming weekend to see if I get any top end or bow lift.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZethKinnettFishing View Post
    Will update as I go so others don’t have to go through this.

Suzuki 4 blade 28p (made by Powertech?) 65 mph loaded if I remember correctly. IDK for sure since I took it off before really checking. 70mph unloaded. RPM unknown since gauge was not working at that time. Moderate lift. Fast out of hole.

Solas Scorpion 27p 6100 RPM 71mph good lift. Just ok out of hole.

Powertech BRV-3 28p 6100rpm 65 mph would not lift bow at all. Slow out of hole.

Going to put Solas back on and send back Powertech so they can make adjustments or a different prop or whatever to get me closer to the Solas performance.

Hoping to find the right combo that gets me a little more speed/performance. Will update as soon as I try something else.

no clue. I ran it everywhere from 1 to 4 on the jackplate gauge. It did get 69 with just me and a light load. No lift though.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    I am going through the same quest with a 650. I've heard from numerous people that the Solas Scorpion was the best performance prop for Suzuki's and Blazers. I haven't tried one yet. I did get my standard Suzuki 4 blade powertech prop worked by Mark Croxton this winter. I should be able to test it out this coming weekend to see if I get any top end or bow lift.
    yes scorpion prob best. I damaged my 27 scorpion so wanted to try something else. I have a 28 scorpion coming Thursday.

Any updates

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Any updates
    28 scorpion is the way to go for top end. Can hit 74 on the best of days. Otherwise 70. Slower out of the hole and very slow to not at all when at elevation 1000'+ and a heavy load with the 28. Prob need a 27 for those lakes.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    I would like to do a Zuki 625 project, I suspect we can make it run pretty good. Just finished a 625/300R project that ran 97.5 light and 94 loaded. The 625 runs really well.

The scorpion prop is very stiff out of the box, it would be interesting to see how it would do with other choices.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

9. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I've heard you can get the Zuki ECM's programmed now to up the HP.

10. Member
    Tim, on the 625, was that loaded with poles or WO?
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by chad202 View Post
    Tim, on the 625, was that loaded with poles or WO?
    No poles, at 94 it was loaded to fish solo, ghost, 16 live w/ AT2 on bow, 12 live on console, both fuel tanks full.

It wasn’t happy, we broke $6k in props testing it , But the boat handled and drove very nice. I do think we found the limit of the hull, I threw some extremely fast wheels at it and at least four of them just quit at 97.5
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

12. Member
    Should've threw the 450HP at it.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by chad202 View Post
    Should've threw the 450HP at it.

Don't tempt me with a good time
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X