2008 vmax 150 2 stroke missing at wot

I have a v150tlr. Motor idles fine, comes out of the hole great and mid range is fine but when I open it up all the way it’s missing and not gaining full rpm and speed. Though every once in a while it will. Initially when I got the boat I had some major bogging down issues. Performed a lot of test that I could. Things I changed out for new were the fuel lines goin from tank to the engine, removed anti siphon valve, new primer bulb, water/fuel separator, filter under cowling, fuel pumps, new spark plugs. Even had it a good Yamaha mechanic that did a multitude of tests and checked out the stator, put a new crank position sensor in and even checked it out with a new ECU and the problem still was there. He eventually swapped out the bottom carb for a new one and he thought that fixed the problem.

Well when I got it back from him the condition did improve for sure as it wasn’t bogging down as much but there was still an issue. So after all that I pulled the top 2 carbs, put them in an ultrasonic cleaner and rebuilt them. For a while over this mild winter I ran the boat at least once a week and the boat seemed to be running fine holding around 5700 rpm, with every once in a blue moon where it would only reach 5100 rpm.

The last few times out even after putting a new tempest plus 23 p prop on there and then goin back to the old yammy 23 m prop for clarification, the engine starting acting up again at wot. It only reaches that 5000 to 5300 rpm range AND every once in a while it will open up to 5600-5700 rpm and top speed but back down again. You can hear the engine it missing like it’s trying to open up but won’t.

Im just stumped, any ideas or suggestions. I’m about to purchase some new fuel OEM fuel lines (the little gray ones) that go from fuel pumps to the carburetor to see if that makes a difference.

2. Member
    Guessing I won’t get any replies on this. I figured.

3. Member
    You figured wrong. Check the stator. More common in sleds but still a issue in o/b. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    The certified Yamaha mechanic did test out the stator and pulser coil and said they check out fine.

5. Member
    Maybe have your mechanic rebuild the carbs? Seems like you rebuilt them and it was fine but now acting up again so could be a problem with your rebuild? Is the lower unit good?

6. Member
    Did you ever check to make sure you do not have trash in your gas tank by using a clear inline filter? I had a similar issue with a carbureted Pro V 150. I disassembled and cleaned the carbs multiple times and it would run right for a while and then stumble/miss at WOT. When I added the inline filter I saw the trash the fuel had in it. It would build up and then the issues would start. Clean the filter and it would start running fine again.

7. Member
    Thank you for the responses. Part of me thought about the gas tank issue. I would think you would see some trapped in the filter screen if there was trash in it but I could be wrong. As far as the lower unit, what would I be looking for?

8. Member
    $11.99 to check. JEGS 15041 Clear In-Line Fuel Filter 3/8 889944024866 | eBay

Disassemble and clean your carbs again. All of them. If that helps you know something. You are probably pretty proficient at it with the practice you have already had. I know I was. Did it in a hotel parking lot once when fishing Lake Fork. I used the dip cleaner. Berryman Chem-Dip Carburetor & Parts Cleaner 96oz (autozone.com)
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 05-10-2023 at 11:38 AM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    $11.99 to check. JEGS 15041 Clear In-Line Fuel Filter 3/8 889944024866 | eBay

Disassemble and clean your carbs again. All of them. If that helps you know something. You are probably pretty proficient at it with the practice you have already had. I know I was. Did it in a hotel parking lot once when fishing Lake Fork. I used the dip cleaner. Berryman Chem-Dip Carburetor & Parts Cleaner 96oz (autozone.com)
    Thank you so much! I appreciate that.

10. Member
    I didn’t get the clear inline fuel filter yet but I had it out today ran it for a decent stretch every time I moved which wasn’t a whole lot. First couple runs it ran like it didn’t wasn’t to get up to wot. Then the next 3 runs it ran flawless holding the rpm’s and speed with no missing. It seems like it’s been a common theme for me and the engine. The more I run it there better it gets it’s seems. Don’t know why.