Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Zillion vs Bantam vs Metanium

Where do you find each reel excels? Which one do you pick for jerk baits and topwater, vs which one do you pick for bottom contact, vs moving bait single hooks, vs crank baits etc. Light, heavy, hard pulling torque-y baits etc.

I feel like the Metanium is great for distance bombing out 3/8-5/8 oz baits, the bantam is awesome for heavier stuff and grindier moving blade baits. Zillion I haven't tried but hear it's great for the lighter hardbaits that are difficult around wind and skipping/close quarters bottom contact stuff.

Trying to figure out roles, thought it helpful to think out loud and hear others opinions.
    Last edited by Scud_Muffin; 05-05-2023 at 08:32 PM.

2. Member
    I use zillions exclusively. Great reels

3. Member
    Zillions all around and if I want something for the fun of it a Steez.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Zillions all around and if I want something for the fun of it a Steez.
    This is where I have ended up.

5. Banned
    I’ve had them all.

My stash of metaniums has gotten smaller. I think I have one now. Had as many as 8.

My stash of Bantams has stayed about the same.

My stash of zillions has gotten larger. I think I’m up to 8 or 9 now. Fantastic reels.

6. Member
    I’ve had them all. I most recently tried a Zillion. I did not try it with lighter baits, but on a P5 BMG casting 3/4 ounce baits, the Bantam outcasts it significantly. I also tried a Steez and sold it pretty quickly. I like the way Shimano’s palm much better. The Zillion is probably more forgiving and certainly would be better for skipping (which I don’t do with a bait caster). All great reels and you couldn’t go wrong with any of them. In the end, I decided “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRez View Post
    I’ve had them all.

My stash of metaniums has gotten smaller. I think I have one now. Had as many as 8.

My stash of Bantams has stayed about the same.

My stash of zillions has gotten larger. I think I’m up to 8 or 9 now. Fantastic reels.
    Where do you keep that one metanium, why do the bantams stay over the metanium and for what, and where do you prefer the Zillions over those two? Thanks!

8. Member
    I’m a Daiwa guy. Have had all the fun ones from TDZ to present including most Megabass variants. 90% of my reels now are the new Zillions. I don’t think anything touches them for the price. I still currently use 3 Steez and a Morethan but honestly, I’d be just as happy to replace those with Zillions

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scud_Muffin View Post
    Where do you keep that one metanium, why do the bantams stay over the metanium and for what, and where do you prefer the Zillions over those two? Thanks!

I have a Met on a frog rod just because those Mets can absolutely bomb a frog like no other reel.

I got rid of the Mets mostly because I got tired of working like crazy replacing gears and bearings to keep them smooth. I don’t know if you follow TT forums or not but a lot of in depth writing has been done on them. They are difficult reels to keep quiet if you use them regularly.

The bantam seems to be better behaved than the Mets in this regard. I punch and deep crank with them.

The zillions are straight butter. And they throw everything well. Plus they skip jigs better than SVS infinity. But I also throw worms, jerks, and everything else with them. They are as smooth now as they were when I bought them.

The only knock I have on the zillions is the finish scratches way easier than the Mets. The finish in general is not as durable as Shimano. But for me, the zillions are workhorse reels not beauty contestants.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRez View Post
    I have a Met on a frog rod just because those Mets can absolutely bomb a frog like no other reel.

I got rid of the Mets mostly because I got tired of working like crazy replacing gears and bearings to keep them smooth. I don’t know if you follow TT forums or not but a lot of in depth writing has been done on them. They are difficult reels to keep quiet if you use them regularly.

The bantam seems to be better behaved than the Mets in this regard. I punch and deep crank with them.

The zillions are straight butter. And they throw everything well. Plus they skip jigs better than SVS infinity. But I also throw worms, jerks, and everything else with them. They are as smooth now as they were when I bought them.

The only knock I have on the zillions is the finish scratches way easier than the Mets. The finish in general is not as durable as Shimano. But for me, the zillions are workhorse reels not beauty contestants.

thanks for the breakdown, helps a lot!

11. Member
    They all work for light through heavy baits. A reel doesn’t care what is top water. All nice, sv reels are a bit more forgiving. Side note, my Mets have all been sold since the new post 16 models came out. Yea. They are smooth but the feel soul-less. I’ve kept my bantams and drastically increased my daiwas. Bought some nice curados too

just grabbed a few us zillions on sale for $255 a piece from Omnia. This can’t be beat. The 21 zillion is what the current Steez sv tw is. A $600+ reel and the new zillion is right there with it.
    Last edited by Chief250; 05-06-2023 at 09:03 AM.

12. Member
    My recent reel purchases were the recent renditions of the Zillions & Metaniums (non DC). They are both good reels. They were both on the upper end of the reel weight range I wanted, so that was the reason I didn’t even consider the Bantam. Both feel solid and equally smooth, but I’d give a slight nod to the Metanium on feeling a bit more durable. Casting simply feels more natural to me with the Metanium. My casting is probably just more at home with centrifugal braking rather than magnetic. I am definitely getting longer casts on the Metanium. The zillion is more forgiving, and the better reel for skipping. Metaniums have extra bearings on the handle paddles (lame for Daiwa to skimp here, at this price point). I’m not a fan of Daiwa’s T Wing, Shimano’s funneling designed line guide is better (speaking with an opinion as a rod builder).

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scud_Muffin View Post
    thanks for the breakdown, helps a lot!
    Y'all got me stoked to try the Zillion!

14. Member
    I doubt you’ll be disappointed with the Zillion. I just ordered my ninth, the SLP blacked out model. I’m super stoked to get it but unfortunately it’s going to take 30 days or so since it was just released a few days ago. I also have been a Daiwa guy for a long time and honestly never had a desire to own a Shimano although I’m sure they’re great. I have a lonely Steez A with Zillion gears, a few TDZs, Fuegos, a Sol and a Zillion 50th but it’s hard not to reach for a Zillion every time.

15. Member
    I have switched exclusively to the Daiwa. They are amazing reels. I now have 4 Steez,17 of the new Zillion SV TW G, 8 Alphas SV TW, 5 of the Tatula Elite P/F, 2 Tatula Elite standard and 6 of the Zillion 10.0
    I have put BFS spools in a couple and they can hang with just about and BFS reel.
    Not that I am biased or anything. LOL
    Daiwa in general has the smoothest reels. I switched from Shimano and the casting difference is amazing.
    2017 Triton 21TrX Elite
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112, Mega 360 w/ Helix 10 Di Si Meg+
    Garmin Livescope + on an Ultra 122SV at the bow.
    Garmin Ultra 122SV and Ultra 126SV at the Helm

16. Member
    I find my Zillion SV TWS is more finicky using flouro then my Bantam A.

17. Member
    So what model of a Zillion at Asian Portal is the one I should order? I know sometimes the overseas models differ from the US versions.

18. Member
    Ordered a 21 Zillion SV TW. Guess we will see how it compares to my Metanium.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    Ordered a 21 Zillion SV TW. Guess we will see how it compares to my Metanium.
    Sounds like you got the right one, sorry I didn’t help you confirm in time. I would happily sell my
    Metaniums for the Zillion, I ordered one after all the positive feedback earlier and it’s just great.

20. Member
    No worries Scud. The Diawas are more consistently labelled across the US and Asian markets. The Shimanos are a bit trickier. Looking forward to being able to perform a side by side comparison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast