Thread: Voltage issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Voltage issue

Hey guys, thought I’d ask in case it’s a rookie issue.

So I have 2 Helix 10s. DI on the troller, DI/SI at the helm. I tried to update them and was on the phone with hummingbird. The lady helped me see I had low voltage at the graphs. Like 11.1v. I checked my battery and circuit breaker and they were at 12.5v with clean connections.

The graphs power from one of the power switches to the right of the console. I also noticed when I trim, the voltage would drop by at least 1v.

I figure it’s a crappy connection that I need to deal with, but thought I’d ask here first. Maybe I need to use a different power source. This is how I bought it. Also, I monitored the voltage as I fished, and the voltage would drop into the 10s. (Motor still cranked fine) and the graph at the helm would turn off when I start the motor. Any input is appreciated before I dig into it.
    Cody
    2018 Bullet 21SDC 250 ProXS
    2B526206

2. Member
    In my experience 2 things will help with that. 1. Make sure you have a big enough battery. One with more than 1000 cranking amps. 2. Run dedicated power direct from the battery for your units instead of tapping into the boat's wiring harness.

Dedicated power was the big one for my units and completely got rid of my low voltage issues.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRubberDuck View Post
    Hey guys, thought I’d ask in case it’s a rookie issue.

So I have 2 Helix 10s. DI on the troller, DI/SI at the helm. I tried to update them and was on the phone with hummingbird. The lady helped me see I had low voltage at the graphs. Like 11.1v. I checked my battery and circuit breaker and they were at 12.5v with clean connections.

The graphs power from one of the power switches to the right of the console. I also noticed when I trim, the voltage would drop by at least 1v.

I figure it’s a crappy connection that I need to deal with, but thought I’d ask here first. Maybe I need to use a different power source. This is how I bought it. Also, I monitored the voltage as I fished, and the voltage would drop into the 10s. (Motor still cranked fine) and the graph at the helm would turn off when I start the motor. Any input is appreciated before I dig into it.

That is the problem. I know because mine was the same way. I now have separate fuse panel in the back for my electronics. 4g from the battery to the panel, 10g from the fuse panel to each graph. Each graph has its own wire. No more issues. I have 2 helix 10s, 1 helix 12, 1 garmin 1022, garmin livescope and 360 and can run my livewell all day with no issue. I do have the big x2 battery though. Before I rewired everything my graphs would start shutting off when I started the motor about 3/4 through a tournament day.

Well, I got the battery compartment rewired with and new circuit breaker for just the graphs. Originally the 30amp breaker was feeding the switch panel. I changed that to a 100amp breaker, and used the 30amp for the graphs.

I also installed a new power/ground distribution block under the dash. I fed it with 10awg power/gnd from the battery compartment. I also ran 10awg from that block all the way to the bow for my one graph LOL.

Now my graphs have great voltage and seem to be working as they should. Hopefully next weekend I'll get to put the boat in the water and see how they function all day.

SIDE NOTE, I do want to upgrade my battery, so any suggestions are welcome. Not ready for lithium yet however.

Anyway, Thank yall so much for helping me get through this issue!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cody
    2B526206

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRubberDuck View Post
    Well, I got the battery compartment rewired with and new circuit breaker for just the graphs. Originally the 30amp breaker was feeding the switch panel. I changed that to a 100amp breaker, and used the 30amp !
    Am I understanding this right you removed a 30 breaker and replaced it with a 100 ? If that's what you did make sure you have a large fire extinguisher
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    Am I understanding this right you removed a 30 breaker and replaced it with a 100 ? If that's what you did make sure you have a large fire extinguisher

Reading your reply makes me realize that's not the best idea. 30amp for 10awg wire.... I need to change that asap. Easy swap. I dunno why I was thinking that panel would benefit from a 100amp.... Maybe that should be for the trolling motor.
    Cody
    2B526206

7. Member
    For batteries I'd recommend the oddyssey 2250 or the big group 31 North Star if you aren't going lithium.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

8. BBC SPONSOR
    For your setup, I'd go with a Duracell 31 AGM. 210RC, 105RC will be plenty for your current setup. I would go back a replace the 100A breaker with another 30.
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

Thank yall for the recommendations. Is the X2 31M 12V, 100ah, 1150CCA comparable to those? Chad, I was trying to find that battery on Batteries Plus web site but didn't see it.

Also, as soon as I can get back to the boat (been on shift since I made the post) I will change out the 100a for another 30a before it ever hits the water.
    Cody
    2B526206

10. Member
    I forgot all about the X2. I couldn't find an oddyssey the last time I was looking for an agm battery so I ended up with the big X2 and it did great.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

11. BBC SPONSOR
    The X2 is one of the biggest, baddest AGM batteries out there. It would also be a good choice if you decide to go that route.
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

12. Member
    I didn't read all the posts, so not sure if this was said. But do not use the boat wiring. Run isolated 8 or 10 gauge cables from the batterie to your units and you will never have voltage problems or drops again .

I have 3x 8 gauge runs in my boat, I got a 8 gauge run to my bow units, another 8 gauge run to my helm units and another 8 gauge run just for my live scope.

Whatever the voltage is at the batterie will be the exact voltage my units will say. I don't even loose 0.1v from the batterie to the units.

Forgot to mention, upgrade all your inline fuses, i notice slight voltage drops with the factory lowrance/garmin fuses. It's not 100% needed but might as well while your there.
    Last edited by hyperflow; 06-20-2023 at 10:00 AM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperflow View Post
    I didn't read all the posts, so not sure if this was said. But do not use the boat wiring. Run isolated 8 or 10 gauge cables from the batterie to your units and you will never have voltage problems or drops again .

I have 3x 8 gauge runs in my boat, I got a 8 gauge run to my bow units, another 8 gauge run to my helm units and another 8 gauge run just for my live scope.

Whatever the voltage is at the batterie will be the exact voltage my units will say. I don't even loose 0.1v from the batterie to the units.

Forgot to mention, upgrade all your inline fuses, i notice slight voltage drops with the factory lowrance/garmin fuses. It's not 100% needed but might as well while your there.
    8 gauge ?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onttr22 View Post
    8 gauge ?
    Just some minor overkill and extra unnecessary added weight, lol. I use 10 from battery to a fuse block then 12 from there to each graph and AT unit and never have a problem. I use 8ga and 4ga for car stereo amps that pull real power, these marine electronics are nowhere close to that demand.

15. Member
    A 14ga wire will work fine , according to the amperage chart a hds12 draws 3.6 amps and requires a 5 amp fuse, there would be zero benefit from running a bigger wire , overkill would be a 12ga wire. If your running a sub panel with other electronics powered off it then you would have to add up the draw and size the main wire , the main breaker shouldn't exceed the maximum amperage the main wire can support.
    I know what people are saying about low voltage on the Lowrance units mine reads lower than battery voltage but works fine , I thought I read somewhere there was a software issue displaying lower voltage than actual voltage. I run Carbon 12's
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

16. Member
    Garmin recommends 8 gauge wire for livescope if you run the GLS box anything over 15 feet and 6 gauge anything over 23 feet. Seaclear boat harness are 8 gauge wire.

All i know is with 8 gauge i have zero voltage drop, whatever my batterie say my units say the same. Run whatever you guys want don't matter to me, just saying what i'm running.
    Last edited by hyperflow; 06-22-2023 at 01:00 PM.

17. Member
    If todays marine electronic units required big wire for steady voltage then why wouldn’t they have a power input connection made on them like car audio amplifiers with set screws instead of a harness plug with 18-22ga leads? I cut those leads as short as possible but always shake my head as why they’re such small ga wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    If todays marine electronic units required big wire for steady voltage then why wouldn’t they have a power input connection made on them like car audio amplifiers with set screws instead of a harness plug with 18-22ga leads? I cut those leads as short as possible but always shake my head as why they’re such small ga wire.
    They need to run big straight out of the unit.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    Because Lowrance units work on 10.8 volts , people freak out when they see less than 12v it's not a problem . The active target draws 1.5 amps that's nothing.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

20. Kllr bee
    I have a Garmin 9.3 on bow that reads 11.1 volts and I run a Optima 31 with 1125 cranking amps. Guess it's a Bullet thing they should fix in the future.
    Richard aka Kllr Bee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast