Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Survey on opening a catch and release season in MN year-round!

Hello anglers,
    The Minnesota Bass Technical Team has been actively working on information to offer anglers about year-round angling for bass. An information sheet explaining the various aspects of biology, literature and social implications is attached for your reference. As with all potential regulatory changes, there is a public input portion that is needed to determine if the change will sit well with the majority of anglers in the state of Minnesota. We would like your input regarding offering a catch and release season from the current closure (typically the last Sunday in February), through the current state fishing opener (defined as the Saturday two weeks prior to Memorial Day Weekend). The information page and survey can be found on our engagement website here: https://engage.dnr.state.mn.us/fishe...release-season

We encourage you to share this link and the attached sheet with anyone that has an opinion about bass fishing in Minnesota.

The Bass Tech Team thanks you in advance for your valuable time and input!
    Please feel free to contact me if there are follow up questions.

Eric
    Bass Technical Team Management Chair

Eric Altena
    Area Fisheries Manager | Fish and Wildlife
    Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
    16543 Haven Road
    Little Falls, MN 56345
    Office-320-232-1069
    Cell -320-293-2439
    Email: eric.altena@state.mn.us
    mndnr.gov

2. Member
    Word travels fast, as this is the 3rd place I've been made aware of the link today. I hope it goes through and thanks for your work on this!

3. Member
    Definitely hoping this goes through. It's long overdue.

Sadly, I believe there will be more opposition than support...some even from bass fisherman. Hopefully there's enough support for the change.

4. Member
    I responded strongly in favor of the ideas, though agree that there is almost zero chance of this going through. Why? Minnesota is a walleye state and all these walleye folks love their ‘opener’ - which is the day all fishing is allowed again after months of closure. A C&R bass season would ruin the long tradition and anticipation of the ‘opener’ held by the walleye crowd. This is what I was told directly by a leader in the state senate when I tried to get him to sponsor a similar bill years ago. There were other BS reasons too, that were so dumb as to not bear repeating. This change is not likely to happen and all this talk of a year round C&R season that is doomed from the start is just another public demonstration of who runs the show in MN - the powerful walleye mob.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianf. View Post
    I responded strongly in favor of the ideas, though agree that there is almost zero chance of this going through. Why? Minnesota is a walleye state and all these walleye folks love their ‘opener’ - which is the day all fishing is allowed again after months of closure. A C&R bass season would ruin the long tradition and anticipation of the ‘opener’ held by the walleye crowd. This is what I was told directly by a leader in the state senate when I tried to get him to sponsor a similar bill years ago. There were other BS reasons too, that were so dumb as to not bear repeating. This change is not likely to happen and all this talk of a year round C&R season that is doomed from the start is just another public demonstration of who runs the show in MN - the powerful walleye mob.
    Wow...I'd love to hear the other BS reasons you were given that were too dumb to repeat considering the main reason that senator told you is incredibly stupid.

And this is also the second place I've seen this survey today which should be a good sign that people desire this change.
    2020 Ranger Reata 1850MS Merc Pro XS 150

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    Wow...I'd love to hear the other BS reasons you were given that were too dumb to repeat considering the main reason that senator told you is incredibly stupid.
    if you really want to know…a) MN resort owners can’t handle the added length to their season, and b) anglers would be tempted to poach the beloved walleye if allowed to bass fish prior to ‘opener’.

7. Member
    if you really want to know…a) MN resort owners can’t handle the added length to their season, and b) anglers would be tempted to poach the beloved walleye if allowed to bass fish prior to ‘opener’.
    You're right, those are dumb BS reasons............

8. Member
    I've always found it fascinating that the busiest day on Lake Pepin is the Minnesota inland waters opener. How lame came the "tradition" be!!

9. Member
    Status report: as of the first day the survey was available... Over 1000 responses... 89.7% strongly support and 6.7% support. More media blasts coming around in the next couple weeks.

10. Member

11. Member
    I’m only guessing that the very favorable results thus far are because it’s mostly bass guys that have weighed-in?? No self-respecting MN walleye purist would ever support anyone fishing around the beloved walleye for fear of an incidental catch. lol If the proposal gets steam and a bill is introduced to change legislation, that is when the powerful walleye forces will rear their heads to squash the bass-inspired uprising. Sure hope I’m wrong, because I so want a year round C&R season for bass here.

12. Member
    I’m only guessing that the very favorable results thus far are because it’s mostly bass guys that have weighed-in?? No self-respecting MN walleye purist would ever support anyone fishing around the beloved walleye for fear of an incidental catch. lol If the proposal gets steam and a bill is introduced to change legislation, that is when the powerful walleye forces will rear their heads to squash the bass-inspired uprising. Sure hope I’m wrong, because I so want a year round C&R season for bass here.
    I am getting a data pull weekly on Thursdays to keep tabs on what forms of outreach creates energy (and because I am curious of course). The only real caution I have received, is from folks worried about the enforcement angle. As you alluded to, related to catching walleye out of season. However, our current border regs already contend with this, Rainy, Mississippi, SD borders all have open continuous seasons for bass, but also have some closed seasons for walleye. Now one legitimate fear I have is a member of MN Fish may make this a personal fight, rather than listening to what the public wants. Who knows.... The survey will be open through Mid August... Hopefully we get a ton of responses and it will show us what the anglers of MN really want.

13. Member
    Does MNFish have an opinion on this yet? Any members here know?

14. Member
    I support the heck outta this
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro Xp
    2022 Mercury 225 ProXs 3B171157

15. Member
    An update: All_response_5-25-23.jpg

Hey folks, the survey of anglers on the year-round catch and release for bass here in MN is still available and your input is needed. https://engage.dnr.state.mn.us/fishe...release-season Please take the survey and share with others. So far over 2,500 responses with 93% in favor of the extension. Even among anglers that say they are not bass anglers, there is over 73% support/strong support.

16. Member
    I really can't believe only 2500 people have taken the survey. It's been posted everywhere...I know it's been seen by at least ten times that amount.

17. Member
    Can they send out a survey to get rid of all seasons in this state? Filled it out. Sure would be awesome if it passed some time.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    I really can't believe only 2500 people have taken the survey. It's been posted everywhere...I know it's been seen by at least ten times that amount.
    Agreed, we tried to get this out earlier when anglers were stewing about the upcoming season. We had struggles internally to get the pieces in order etc. So only a week prior to the opener. Still surprised though.... I like seeing the direction it's going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast