Thread: Estate planning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Estate planning

Now that tax season is behind us, here's a little PSA for those of you who have an IRA they might be leaving to your heirs. If you decide to use a trust to convey your estate, DO NOT make the trust the beneficiary of your IRA. My father wanted to make things easier on us after he passed so he put the house, IRA, etc. in a trust so we wouldn't have to go through probate. He didn't get good advice on the IRA part.

Just to review the sales pitch for opening an IRA, they tell you it's basically deferred income that you use for retirement. You don't pay taxes on it now, it grows, and most pay a lower tax rate when you take IRA distributions after retirement because your annual earned income is less than when you were working.

Under current rules, an inherited IRA has to be drawn down to zero within 10 years at any rate you choose (lump sum, 10% a year, whatever you want). 100% of each distribution is taxable. The downside here is that a trust showing an income of $20,000 or more is taxed at 37%. Add state tax and it can be around 45% if your state has income tax. End result is the govt. takes 45% of any IRA over $200K if it's in a trust.

As I understand it, if it's outside the trust, each heir is taxed at their current rate for what they receive. For a lot of folks, that's going to be 20-30% combined tax. Makes a big difference.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Similarly, based on the advice of one of my brother's law partners, an "expert" estate planning and trust attorney, my Mom put many of her assets, including her house, in an irrevocable trust. Part of the benefit of the irrevocable trust was to protect her assets from Medicaid. Yeah, if she would have lived to 110 years old, she might have run out of assets to cover her care. But, the realistic odds that she would run out of money to pay for her care was virtually zero. One thing the attorney did not tell us was that when her house was put in the trust, we were going to have to pay capital gains taxes when she passed. Had the house not been put in the trust, we could have taken her one time exemption for paying capital gains on a primary residence. Or, if either my brother or sister, or I had moved into the house before she passed, we would have avoided the capital gains taxes. We were told none of this and did not have sufficient expertise to ask questions about these matters. Instead, we got hosed on the taxes.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Now that tax season is behind us, here's a little PSA for those of you who have an IRA they might be leaving to your heirs. If you decide to use a trust to convey your estate, DO NOT make the trust the beneficiary of your IRA. My father wanted to make things easier on us after he passed so he put the house, IRA, etc. in a trust so we wouldn't have to go through probate. He didn't get good advice on the IRA part.

Just to review the sales pitch for opening an IRA, they tell you it's basically deferred income that you use for retirement. You don't pay taxes on it now, it grows, and most pay a lower tax rate when you take IRA distributions after retirement because your annual earned income is less than when you were working.

Under current rules, an inherited IRA has to be drawn down to zero within 10 years at any rate you choose (lump sum, 10% a year, whatever you want). 100% of each distribution is taxable. The downside here is that a trust showing an income of $20,000 or more is taxed at 37%. Add state tax and it can be around 45% if your state has income tax. End result is the govt. takes 45% of any IRA over $200K if it's in a trust.

As I understand it, if it's outside the trust, each heir is taxed at their current rate for what they receive. For a lot of folks, that's going to be 20-30% combined tax. Makes a big difference.
    Would a Roth IRA where taxes have already been paid be treated differently?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Would a Roth IRA where taxes have already been paid be treated differently?
    That's a good question. I don't know the answer and even if I did, the rules are subject to change at the whims of dear old IRS. I would hope it's not taxable and would be treated like cash assets
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

5. Member
    Going thru the inherited ira thing myself this year.
    They won't have to worry about the national debt after there done with me.
    I don't think they can tax your heirs on a roth---Yet

6. Member

The higher taxes apply to things like non-qualified dividends and interest income. When you speak with your broker/advisor etc. then maybe look at holding dividend paying stocks that only pay qualified dividends. This what I do with money in the trusts I have. With respect to interest from bonds or non qualified dividends I distribute those out to my kids each year for tuition and rent at school and then they receive a Schedule K and it gets taxed at their tax rate. I agree that it would be better to just name an individual beneficiary for a an IRA. I inherited my dads IRA when he died and the financial institution just transferred it to an inherited IRA account and it was very easy. He died before the change so I don't have to use it within 10 years but I do have to take required minimum distributions.

7. Member
    That's a good question. I don't know the answer and even if I did, the rules are subject to change at the whims of dear old CONGRESS. I would hope it's not taxable and would be treated like cash assets
    Fixed it for you.
    2014 920/SHO

8. Member
    Some things are just worth what they cost, IMO estate planning is one of them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Similarly, based on the advice of one of my brother's law partners, an "expert" estate planning and trust attorney, my Mom put many of her assets, including her house, in an irrevocable trust. Part of the benefit of the irrevocable trust was to protect her assets from Medicaid. Yeah, if she would have lived to 110 years old, she might have run out of assets to cover her care. But, the realistic odds that she would run out of money to pay for her care was virtually zero. One thing the attorney did not tell us was that when her house was put in the trust, we were going to have to pay capital gains taxes when she passed. Had the house not been put in the trust, we could have taken her one time exemption for paying capital gains on a primary residence. Or, if either my brother or sister, or I had moved into the house before she passed, we would have avoided the capital gains taxes. We were told none of this and did not have sufficient expertise to ask questions about these matters. Instead, we got hosed on the taxes.
    Exactly the same happened to us, using "expert" advice. Got killed on taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    BINGO!

I’m far from a rich man but my sister is a CPA, and a darn good one. Her advice is get an accountant, a financial planner and a lawyer at the same table and go through all of the planning stuff together. It’s fun to watch them pose questions to one another and they remember little things that may have slipped their mind when one of the other’s asks the right question.

It’s not a cheap meeting but it will pay dividends in the end.

11. Member
    So what's the work around? Don't put the IRA in the trust and just name the beneficiaries on the IRA so they get paid out individually and taxed individually?

12. Member
    Is there any Estate planning mechanism that allows the IRA to be distributed under the gift tax exclusion after someone passes?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Is there any Estate planning mechanism that allows the IRA to be distributed under the gift tax exclusion after someone passes?
    I believe the answer is no, last time I asked. Only executor fees can be gifted.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I am an attorney and I still hired an estate planning attorney to draft the trusts, will etc. There are so many potential pitfalls and the laws are constantly changing. Definitely was worth what I paid. As with anything else though you need to make sure you get an attorney that specializes in estate planning and get recommendations.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    No, I meant the IRS. Congress making laws is one thing; how the IRS chooses to interpret and apply the laws is another

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul40269 View Post
    So what's the work around? Don't put the IRA in the trust and just name the beneficiaries on the IRA so they get paid out individually and taxed individually?
    That seems to be the simplest solution. There could be other more complicated work-arounds but naming specific beneficiaries should work

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Keep in mind that the income was never taxed. They aren't going to let you get away with keeping all of it.

17. Member
    And this is why I told my parents to spend their money and not leave anything to me. Their farm is to be donated to the autobahn society and I'm perfectly OK with that.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

18. Member

Been through this before with both my parents trusts, and a trust used for probate purposes is not a taxable entity. Any income from the trust is a flow through to the individual tax return of the respective beneficiary. There are no tax implications from a trust.

19. Member
    A trust can be named the beneficiary of an IRA and work fine if it has the proper look through provisions. The problem is the Secure Act changed the beneficiary rules, so trusts written before 2019 may not have the proper language post secure act. These documents do need to be reviewed and revised as laws change.
    the new 10 yr inherited IRA distribution rule only applies to non spousal beneficiaries who are more than 10 years younger than the decedent.
    I am not sure with the new rule why anyone would name a trust as a beneficiary anymore.

You do not need a trust to avoid probate. Any account that you name a beneficiary on automatically avoids probate and goes directly to the beneficiary. You can name beneficiaries on checking, saving, investment accounts by adding Payable on Death POD or Transferable on Death designation to the account. Some states even allow you to do this on real estate deeds.

By the way, many people misunderstand what the attorney tells them to do. A large amount of trusts are never funded correctly by the client.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    A trust can be named the beneficiary of an IRA and work fine if it has the proper look through provisions. The problem is the Secure Act changed the beneficiary rules, so trusts written before 2019 may not have the proper language post secure act. These documents do need to be reviewed and revised as laws change.
    the new 10 yr inherited IRA distribution rule only applies to non spousal beneficiaries who are more than 10 years younger than the decedent.
    I am not sure with the new rule why anyone would name a trust as a beneficiary anymore.

You do not need a trust to avoid probate. Any account that you name a beneficiary on automatically avoids probate and goes directly to the beneficiary. You can name beneficiaries on checking, saving, investment accounts by adding Payable on Death POD or Transferable on Death designation to the account. Some states even allow you to do this on real estate deeds.

By the way, many people misunderstand what the attorney tells them to do. A large amount of trusts are never funded correctly by the client.
    It really sort of depends how it is structured. If you have irrevocable trusts or a revocable trust that gets split into irrevocable trusts once the decedent dies then those normally require a separate EIN and any income generated that does not get distributed gets taxed at the trust level. It is a damn rabbit hole in terms of complexity and tax issues. It really should not be this complicated but the tax laws just put people through hell after losing a parent. I am dealing with this 5 years later after my dad died.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast