Surge Brake Roll Pins

Hey guys,

I have a 1993 Hydrasports trailer that has surge brakes on it but it needs rebuilt. I think there's a seal or gasket somewhere inside that needs replaced but I really need to get inside of it to figure it out. I can't seem to get the roll pins out even with copious amounts of penetrating oil in order to take a look inside. The brakes look like the attached pictures. I may have damaged the pins a bit by mushrooming them some from excessive hammering. Any idea where I can find replacement pins?

brakes.PNG
    1993 Hydra Sports LS200
    1993 Johnson GT200 Venom (VJ200SLETC)

2. Member
    Pacific trailers has everything you need for a60 actuators and good prices too. They even have a schematic of all the different parts
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

3. Member
    I've replaced mine with a whole new assembly, and yes the pins do not want to come out. It just needs a bigger hammer haha. In my opinion its best to just replace the entire thing, being a 93, it is wore out. There are different models that you have be mindful of when looking for replacement or for parts. Some are hydraulic over drum brakes, hydraulic over disc, brakes on dual axles, and some I believe for electric.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

Use two 3/4” wooden dowels cut to width of the inner part of the housing. Drive out the new roller pins with dowels. They will keep everything together and can drive out the wooden dowels with the new roller pins after installing in the housing.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

5. mikesxpress
    Best to just replace the actuator.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Best to just replace the actuator.

A trick for removing the pins. Use a large C-clamp and a socket to get it started. Also works great on spring hanger bolts.

7. Member
    I did manage to get the whole thing out but it definitely isn't repairable. I'm wondering if I can replace the insides of the actuator rather than replacing the whole thing. It looks like I need the pushrod assembly, master cylinder, and some other parts. Trying to save some cash over purchasing the whole thing.
    1993 Hydra Sports LS200

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCee102 View Post
    I did manage to get the whole thing out but it definitely isn't repairable. I'm wondering if I can replace the insides of the actuator rather than replacing the whole thing. It looks like I need the pushrod assembly, master cylinder, and some other parts. Trying to save some cash over purchasing the whole thing.
    Pacific Trailers or Eastern Marine will have all the parts you’re looking for. If it was me, and it was 2 years ago when I replaced mine, you’re better off replacing the whole actuator at the age it’s at. Those actuators take a lot of abuse.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    Pacific Trailers or Eastern Marine will have all the parts you’re looking for. If it was me, and it was 2 years ago when I replaced mine, you’re better off replacing the whole actuator at the age it’s at. Those actuators take a lot of abuse.
    Have to agree I went the route of replacing parts by the time I was done would of been better replacing the assembly.

10. Member
    This is the decision I've made. I added up all the parts and it's nearly the same price to buy the whole thing new.
    1993 Hydra Sports LS200