Thread: TN/KY Trip

TN/KY Trip

Hello all,

My wife and I are taking a trip from WI to the Great Smoky Mountains National park in the beginning of June for some back country hiking/camping followed by some of the same at the Mammoth Caves National Park as we start heading back home.

We have some open days within the trip and would like to potentially walk/wade some river for smallies while we are there since we are traveling. If anyone has any areas they'd be willing to share we'd be gracious and respectful of the areas.

We really only have enough room for each of us to pack one rod and reel and some tackle so kind of limited but both of us are plenty familiar with this style of fishing from back home here in WI.

Thanks!

2. Member
    The Pigeon River running through Sevierville/Pigeon Forge on the way to the GSMP may be one option for you all. Have a good, safe trip!

I certainly agree with that area of the Little Pigeon River. Specifically, I try to stay below the waterfall that is at the Old Mill in Pigeon Forge. Anywhere downstream of there has always been good and I have better luck there and below than I have above.

As far as spots, and as there are more visitors to the area, the more "common" spots do get fished quite often; however, since you mentioned you are not shy of wading/walking the river, that opens up a lot more chance of some real good and fun fishing.

To get you in an area that always seems to produce (especially if you walk and wade down river some to get where the bank fishers don't cast to often) if you will google map this: Burchfiel Grove & Arboretum.
    There is a small parking area here that is directly on the river and you can walk up or down from this spot as much as you would like. It's easy to get in and out of as well. The bank fishing there is pretty well-known and common, but not a lot of waders usually (if any) so that will help tremendously for your cause.

Hopefully that helps get you in an area!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇
    Bass Pro Shops, Nitro Boats, Mercury, Kastking

4. Member
    Great information!

Thank you for sharing guys.

I've been digging around at work here today and finding quite a few options in both TN and KY. Its tempting to bring our canoe, but the long trip with a canoe strapped to our vehicle isn't the most appealing.