yearly maintenance/upkeep

So, had my used but new to me Skeeter ZX225 with SHO 225 for a year now. Outside of the "100 hours" type motor service tasks, what maintenace/upkeep should I be looking at taking care of? ie Lower Unit, Hydraulic Steering, etc...

It was either the Skeeter facebook page, or somewhere on here I saw someone post that the SHOs are hard on spark plugs during the break-in period and shortly after, and they should be replaced around the 100 hour mark?

Not sure of the credibility, but I'm gonna have mine replaced at my next service which will be around 100 hours.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    It was either the Skeeter facebook page, or somewhere on here I saw someone post that the SHOs are hard on spark plugs during the break-in period and shortly after, and they should be replaced around the 100 hour mark?

Not sure of the credibility, but I'm gonna have mine replaced at my next service which will be around 100 hours.
    FYI: I replaced my plugs around 100hrs. The parts guy at local marina had them for over $20cdn each. Thankfully he told me to get them at NAPA, where they were $10 each for the identical plug. They're very easy to change yourself.

Edit: Looked at my notes and it was actually 214 hours when I changed my plugs and they still looked good. I had checked them at 100 hours and they looked like new.
    Last edited by McQuaig; 05-03-2023 at 03:11 PM.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

4. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post

Sheeeeyit, you guys are lucky, Merc requires an annual spark plug change.

Grease any of the zerks on the motor mount is all I can think of in addition. I know some guys retorque the engine and jackplate mounting bolts - I haven't.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Spark plugs every 100 hours. Every 300 hours VST filters (2 of them). Also watch psi for water pump replacement.

6. Member
    Plugs and filters are relatively cheap compared to an engine. I just change mine yearly needed or not.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

So I actually do have 100 hour coming up, now that I look at hours. Man that went by fast lol.

Two quotes for 100 hour service, basically both around $700. Powerhead would be right around 120-130 hours since being replaced (did the 20 hour already and 100 started counting from there they said) so I would assume new powerhead would have new plugs when replaced?

SIM sells the 100 hour kit for $180, so it appears to basically be mostly labor. I'm pretty mechanical, going to watch a few vids I may just do it myself - doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary or require any specialized tools.

Shop said impeller change at 200 hour service, but again have no idea when it would have last been changed, I would assume not during powerhead swap though. I have some of the previous owners receipts will check to see what I can find.

Might be prudent to just go ahead and go with the 200 hour since I really don't know when things were last done.

8. Member
    The 100 hour service is easily done at home by a do-it-yourselfer. Pump out or drain the oil, change oil and fuel filters, spark plugs, grease the fittings, etc.. If you're not sure when the impellor was changed I would definitely do it, especially since you are likely in some shallow water in Florida waterways and picking up sand/silt...
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

Since I have some of the prev. owners reciepts, I was able to piece together some info...

Powerhead issues happened around 565+ hours and it was replaced. I am at 650 now, and of course I did 20 hour service and the 100 starts from there, so do have a bit of room hour wise, around 20 hours +/-.

Have reciept for plugs being replaced in 2021. Powerhead let go sometime in 2021, and it took a long time to get repaired b/c Yamaha didn't have/couldn't get parts or something like that. So long that previous owner actually bought a new boat as he got tired of waiting on Yamaha. So I actually bought in 2022 with new powerhead, and assume that included new plugs at that time.

Impeller, not so sure. Last reciept I have for impeller change was 2018, so was likely due in 2020 but don't know if previous owner had it done or not. Likely would not have been done with powerhead work in 2021, so I'm thinking I should probably at least get it looked at and see if it's starting to deform/curl.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 05-03-2023 at 06:39 PM.

10. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    So I actually do have 100 hour coming up, now that I look at hours. Man that went by fast lol.

Two quotes for 100 hour service, basically both around $700. Powerhead would be right around 120-130 hours since being replaced (did the 20 hour already and 100 started counting from there they said) so I would assume new powerhead would have new plugs when replaced?

SIM sells the 100 hour kit for $180, so it appears to basically be mostly labor. I'm pretty mechanical, going to watch a few vids I may just do it myself - doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary or require any specialized tools.

Shop said impeller change at 200 hour service, but again have no idea when it would have last been changed, I would assume not during powerhead swap though. I have some of the previous owners receipts will check to see what I can find.

Might be prudent to just go ahead and go with the 200 hour since I really don't know when things were last done.
    $700? American dollars!? Seems like double the price of what needs to be done.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    $700? American dollars!? Seems like double the price of what needs to be done.
    yeah I thought it was high as well, I was expecting it to be around $500 max tbh. But two shops, bascially same quote amount, so I guess it is what it is. Labor rates at marine shops here are anywhere from $125-165 it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    The 100 hour service is easily done at home by a do-it-yourselfer. Pump out or drain the oil, change oil and fuel filters, spark plugs, grease the fittings, etc.. If you're not sure when the impellor was changed I would definitely do it, especially since you are likely in some shallow water in Florida waterways and picking up sand/silt...
    Yeah I think that's the plan, just pick up kit from SIM Yamaha... everything on the list other than water seperator filter seems pretty straitforward, and only reason water sp filter is issue is because it is a pita to get to it maybe.

Impeller not sure about, never done one before but have a vid queued to see how to do it but can't imagine it's very difficult, I suspect hardest part woudl be droping/re-ataching/aligning lower unit?

Will check on spark plugs as well. Last receipt (2018) they were $6 buck apiece (at a dealer no less), so I guess they've gone up a bit since then...

13. Member
    I cannot think of a single reason that the new power head would not have new plugs. I’ve never done a boat engine but as a tech I’ve done numerous engines and new plugs, fluids, always. I have done water pumps/impellers before and just did mine a week ago. I’ve seen the projects you do and the impeller should be easy enough for you. The 4 strokes are much easier than the 2 strokes.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

14. Member
    100 hr service is around $800 at dealership, it hurts!

Well in the can't do math department, I'm still a ways away from a 100 hour mark... still have about 30-40 hours to go. But am going to try it myself for sure, will just order the kit and have at it. Will likly do impeller as well as I don't know if it's been changed since the last paperwork I have from 2018.

16. Member
    This past winter I did my first water pump replacement on my 175 HPDI. Screwed 2 vertical 2x4's (acting as arms) to my workbench to hold the LU to do the work. LU was surprisingly light, at least to me. Worst part of the job was removing the key from the shaft, I cut it with a dremel, then a hammer and chisel. I don't know why you can't leave the old one in, maybe there is a reason.

LU came off and went back on like butter. Pretty easy job.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    This past winter I did my first water pump replacement on my 175 HPDI. Screwed 2 vertical 2x4's (acting as arms) to my workbench to hold the LU to do the work. LU was surprisingly light, at least to me. Worst part of the job was removing the key from the shaft, I cut it with a dremel, then a hammer and chisel. I don't know why you can't leave the old one in, maybe there is a reason.

I've watched a few videos and wondered this as well. I guess maybe in case the key is wearing down or has worn down possibly? but it's a metal key vs a slot in a polymer impeller, so that doesn't seem very likely.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post

The key has to be removed if you're changing the base plate too. Also, I think if the key is left in for many years, it will be that much harder to get out. When I put the key back in I give it a light smear of grease.
    To get the key out, I use a hammer and flat chisel and give it a couple whacks from the top. Because it's rounded on the back, if you get the tip of chisel between the key and shaft and hit straight down it will come out. First add a wrap of tape around the shaft to protect it from damage.
    Last edited by McQuaig; 05-12-2023 at 08:27 AM.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    The key has to be removed if you're changing the base plate too. Also, I think if the key is left in for many years, it will be that much harder to get out. When I put the key back in I give it a light smear of grease.
    To get the key out, I use a hammer and flat chisel and give it a couple whacks from the top. Because it's rounded on the back, if you get the tip of chisel between the key and shaft and hit straight down it will come out. First add a wrap of tape around the shaft to protect it from damage.
    Yeah, I did change the base plate and remember that now