Banned

Witnessed an airboat spraying orange today in 20 knt winds

It just doesn't stop. Dude in an airboat with an umbrella spraying the shit out of pads in orange today. Winds blowing 15-25. If not mistaken, wasn't there limitations to spraying based on winds? He was on the most windward part of the lake. It was so windy that 10ft power poles had a hard time holding and he was just a 100 yards away. As stated, if not mistaken, based on weather conditions, legally he never should have been waving that poison wand of chemical. This was around 1 pm in the afternoon when the wind was honking!

2. Banned
    Way to go FWC, spray and burn the nursery where the bass fry live with all thier food source...shocker. How much did the chemical companies make today by ignoring spraying regulations? Or better put, how much did they lose by NOT spraying today?

Just in time for our T this weekend

4. Member
    At least 5 days a week somewhere on Kissimmee.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerman65 View Post
    At least 5 days a week somewhere on Kissimmee.
    Same schedule on Okeechobee.

6. Member
    Pads are invasive now? What a bunch of clowns

7. Member
    Got word the other day that one of the little spring fed ponds/lakes we have in the panhandle has "9 tubs of herbicide on the way" to try and "control" the vegetation (eel grass and hydrilla) that's there...
    Maybe I should mention that back in the day they were catching world record shellcracker there because they had big snails to feed up on and FWC screwed the place up in the 90s and killed all the snails..
    Here we go again right when those same snails are starting to return and the fishing is really good..

The question has to be asked, why don't they let fisherman control and maintain these bodies of water?!?! After all, we spend the most time on them and usually understand where grass is overgrowing or where stumps need to be removed, etc..
    Thanks to the government though.. they know best

They used to spray a couple weeks a year on my home lake , now it's every week. Spawn or no spawn , they don't care.They were spraying in 20 mph winds down here ,yesterday also. For the ppl up north that don't know what it does ,here's the gist of it.

The problems with chemical spraying

• It damages or kills native plants: Although the herbicides are designed to be selective towards non-native plant species, when those non-native plants die, their decaying matter often smothers native species and prevents photosynthesis. The decaying plants also release an abundance of nutrients that create an environment much more conducive to non-native species, which have higher nutrient requirements than native species.
    • It fuels toxic algal blooms: Nutrients released from decaying plants can fuel harmful algal blooms (HABs) that contain toxic cyanobacteria, especially when combined with warm weather
    • It prevents natural filtration: When the decaying non-native plants kill off native plants—like eel grass and other plants that naturally remove nutrients from the water—it limits the lake’s natural defense against major algae blooms.
    • It has negative effects on fish habitat: Not only does spraying result in habitat loss, it can also lead to low-oxygen conditions when too many plants die and decompose simultaneously. This creates the potential for isolated fish kills, especially during very warm weather.
    • Human Health concerns: The main ingredient in the herbicide that is being used for aquatic plant spraying is glyphosate—a chemical that might be linked to cancer according to some studies.

https://captainsforcleanwater.org/aquatic-vegetation-herbicides/

Last edited by JohnD.; 05-03-2023 at 09:25 AM.

9. Member
    Those meetings in 2021. Doesn’t look like public input did much good. I fished today with winds gusts at 20mph. Like clockwork here comes 2 spray boats out of the state park heading toward eagles nest and school bus. They spray the hard bank as if trying to make the lake bigger. Every day. There is no where on Kissimmee that the vegetation hinders boat traffic.

10. Member
    Seriously? Where are the green police when this type of thing happens? The liability alone for that kind of negligence should make anyone take pause. Love Florida but wow!

11. Banned
    Every time the sprayers head out it needs to be noted where they left out of so when they return it will be clear they are not wanted.

We have tried going about this one way by meeting with FWC and their cronies. Now it's time to go John Hancock on their ass and stand out just like his signature on the constitution. Enough is enough. People were eating bluegills right where this dude sprayed. Know where I won't fish in sat tx.

12. Member
    If anyone can find a good environmental attorney that will work for payment from the state, my offer to do the footwork still stands. Class action lawsuit needs to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    If anyone can find a good environmental attorney that will work for payment from the state, my offer to do the footwork still stands. Class action lawsuit needs to happen!
    Try getting a hold of, AFLO. Scott Martin's wife runs it.

https://www.anglersforlakeo.org/
    Last edited by JohnD.; 05-04-2023 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo

14. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Someone needs to organize a protest, where we all tow our boats into Orland/Jacksonville, etc. and clog up traffic. Get the news' attention is about the only way I see that could have an impact. As is, they don't seem to care or even know how much of an issue the poison program is? You stop traffic for an hour with a hundred (or even a few dozen) bass/fishing rigs, during rush hour, and it'll get their attention. Not sure what kind of attention, but attention non the less. Maybe the guy on Facebook (FWC is killing our waterways) would be interested? Needs to be someone who knows the situation, has pictures, video, can speak on the subject with knowledge and facts, when they start asking questions.. Probably even need a permit or something to protest? I don't know much, but I know the squeaky wheels are the only ones that get the grease.

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Every time the sprayers head out it needs to be noted where they left out of so when they return it will be clear they are not wanted.

We have tried going about this one way by meeting with FWC and their cronies. Now it's time to go John Hancock on their ass and stand out just like his signature on the constitution. Enough is enough. People were eating bluegills right where this dude sprayed. Know where I won't fish in sat tx.

Good luck in Tx today... was planning on fishing it but since its already freaking 2am and I haven't even gotten to bed yet . I don't think I'll be making it down as I would have to leave in 45min or so. :(.

EDIT - Funny, my alarm to get up for Tx just went off. Insomnia sucks!
    Last edited by 78Staff; 05-06-2023 at 01:31 AM.

16. Member
    Lake Rousseau is next, May 25th. Last time they were there fishing sucked for 6 months !