USA Truck tool kit recommendation

Looking for recommendations on some high quality portable tool kits with carrying case - something to keep in the truck or boat. I currently have a Stanley kit from Lowes that I've had for years and just sick of the sub par case, slop in the ratchets etc. Something about the size of a shoebox or slightly larger. Thanks!
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I built my own from a flat box my father-in-law had, but I needed to add metric as well as electrical and just added stuff as needed over the years. Yard sale tools, extras, Harbor Freight. I’ve added sockets for trailer lug nuts, a 15/16” socket for my 5th wheel hitch, vise grips, hex keys, wire stripper, a multi-bit screwdriver with Torx and Robertson and probably several more. No pre-made kit will do the job. I carry a more complete tool set under the back seat in my truck than many people own!

You are unlikely to find a kit with quality ratchets in a blow-molded case, but you may be able to swap good tools into a cheaper case.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Instead of a prefab kit, do all trailer maintenance. Pull tires, rebuild hubs, grease everything, fix a light, plug a tire, etc.

When done there should be a pile of tools and supplies. Thats what should be carried in the truck.

Same for the boat. Be realistic of what can be done on the water. Keep it to the basics.

4. Member
    I need a good break bar for the trailer tires

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerBoy2003 View Post
    I carry a Gorilla telescoping wrench.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    I just did this and finished my "side of the road kit". I went to harbor freight and bought a $60 Bauer brushless cordless impact wrench and a 20v 5aH lithium battery, 19mm impact socket, Dewalt air pump, breaker bar, academy pad for kneeling on the ground, tarp in case it's wet or muddy, roadflares/triangles and a block of wood to stabilize my trucks bottle jack.
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerBoy2003 View Post
    I had to start carrying one when I figured out a 4 way wrench hurt my tired old shoulders to use.! So I do have one in the top of my road box with a socket attached that fits the truck and trailer.!!

8. Member
    I would say be realistic about what you can actually do, and what you need. I don't know or wont presume your handiness level, but I am guessing you aren't a technician as you would know what tools you want. So depending on how old a vehicle you drive, most newer cars if you have an issue, or open the hood you likely wont even know where to start hardly. Its not a 68 mustang you can work on with a pliers and screwdriver. Realistically about all your going to do is change or fix a tire, so carry some tire plugs, fix a flat, and a way to air up a tire in case you would ever get 2 or more flats. For the boat, what do you feel comfortable fixing on the water? Spare prop, nut, cotter pins, tools for plug change, basics for an odd emergency, side cutters, pliers, small socket set, fuses, duct tape, things like that. But if you don't feel strongly about being able to fix a lot, then no need to bring a whole tool box. Or if your car boat are almost new, id say have a number for a tow service just in case, but odds of breaking are slim.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

9. #FRB
    Figure out what you would realistically be working on and build a kit around those things. Even Hobo Freight has decent stuff as long as you stick with their upper tier stuff like Icon. My truck kit is just a Hart kit from Walmart with some open/box end Hyper Tough wrenches but I'm not hard to please no more than I use them.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    Every year Lowe's has a 290 or something piece Kobalt tool kit in a hard case for sale for Black Friday. That's what I have in my truck. Seems like quality stuff and the case is nice for keeping it in the truck.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

11. Member
    99R gave good advice, i personally only carry a screwdriver with different bit, pliers and a jack and lug wrench in case of a flat. Anything happens to the motor's i wouldn't know where to start.

12. Member
    I make up my own small tool box.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster2003 View Post
    I just did this and finished my "side of the road kit". I went to harbor freight and bought a $60 Bauer brushless cordless impact wrench and a 20v 5aH lithium battery, 19mm impact socket, Dewalt air pump, breaker bar, academy pad for kneeling on the ground, tarp in case it's wet or muddy, roadflares/triangles and a block of wood to stabilize my trucks bottle jack.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^, I have pretty much the same set-up with the exception is my brushless Impact Gun is a DeWalt.

Spanky

Thanks guys - I actually have made my own tool kits for the boat and trailer - this is a more generic kit with just the basics - ratchets, sockets, allen wrenches, screwdrivers (bits) all in a handy carrying case. Just wanted something a little better than a craftsman, kobalt, stanley etc from the big box stores. Carrying case that keeps it all together and compact is half of this equation. That may be the only option.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

15. Member
    I make my own small tool bag and pretty much have the same thing in every vehicle. Small socket set, various wrenches, allens, screwdrivers, nutdrivers, pliers, voltmeter, wire-ties, electrical tape, bailing wire, utility knife, vise grips, small hammer, etc. It doubles as it never fails you go to someone's house and they need something fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    Every year Lowe's has a 290 or something piece Kobalt tool kit in a hard case for sale for Black Friday. That's what I have in my truck. Seems like quality stuff and the case is nice for keeping it in the truck.
    This ^
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

17. Member
    Years ago, I bought a cheap set with a case from harbor freight. I've only opened it once. Right after I bought it, I opened it and sprayed Ballistol on everything. I've carried it in my truck ever since and never needed it. I keep my good tools in my garage. I also carry a pair of Mechanix gloves, Alumaseal, JB Weld, and tire Slime. If I can't fix the problem with those things, I will call a tow truck.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

Whatever kit you decide on, be sure to add a Test Light, Multi-Meter, Solder-less Connectors and Solder-less Pliers, and a selection of Fuses.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

19. Member
    Also remember to put all the tools for the boat in a waterproof case. It's very disappointing on the day you open up your cheap tool bag that's been in the boat for months or even years and find everything is rusted. So yeah, get a waterproof case.