Thread: BRV 5 on 300r

BRV 5 on 300r

So I got my hands on a Turbo 31p BRV5 to run on an XRS with 300r. The steering torque on this prop is insane! I feel Its really too much pitch for my rig but i can run it.

The question I have is… why, When I run this prop does the boat want to rotate Starboard side down? It’s really bad with me solo but I still notice it with my partner in the boat. Non of my other props do this, only this one! Doesnt matter if I’m even with the pad or 2” above still wants to rotate the boat to the right. And it’s so bad by myself the boat actually goes right. Anyone have any idea what’s going on? I dont understand it yet. Im gonna call a prop guy tomorrow to talk about what’s going on. It’s gotta have something to do with this prop.

2. Member
    If you like I can meet you to let you try my 31 max5 st to see if it runs better.
    Ronnie

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rclark1 View Post
    If you like I can meet you to let you try my 31 max5 st to see if it runs better.
    Ronnie
    Im sure it will run better… but it’s gonna be too much pitch. I have a 30 on order but who knows when I’ll get it.

4. Member
    I slung another Bravo blade and have a borrowed BRV5 30 pitch that I am using until my new Bravo comes in. The BRV5 runs decent but not great. My buddy had the barrel cut and a little cup added. The prop does not pull to the right on my boat (SDC, 300R). Decent hole shot, decent mid range and low top end.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

5. Member
    Prop has too much rake is what I was told today.

6. Member
    BRV-5 as in Power Tec? I tried a BRV 5 in a 28 pitch (300R XRS, sport master 1.75 gears.) didn't care for it and eventually slung a blade. Per Mark Croxton went to a BRV-4 29 pitch that he blue printed. Mark says the BRV-4 is about 1 inch stiffer than the same pitch in a Bravo. He added a bit of tip cup and some more magic and I am happy with it. I had tremendous steering torque to begin with any prop. (to the right of course). Added a torque tab on the skeg and it is much better. What is your P to P?

7. Member
    Yes a power tec. I sent it back for a 28p yesterday. I ran it from even to 2 1/8 above the pad on a hydraulic plate. It was just way too much pitch. I won’t run a prop past 1 3/4 again….
    She turned a 180 on me. Luckily I felt it coming and was able to slow down without getting me or my partner hurt.

8. Member
    Mark Croxton is not a fan of the five blades. He says they are more gimmick than anything, IDK. I have been happy with my BRV-4 so far. I run mine at 1-7/8 for a while and slung blades off two props. Settled on 1-1/2" I am sure I am giving up some top end but, I can't afford the props. Hopefully the blades will stay on my BRV-4. Best of luck.