Thread: Lake Talquin

Lake Talquin

Anyone been on Talquin recently. I haven't been able to make my way out there but am thinking about going in the next few weeks.

I imagine water is fairly stained because of all the rain and people have been hammering on the ledges... TIA

2. Member
    I made a couple trips a few weeks ago. Water was great and bass were still in spawn/post spawn. They were schooling on shad on the points. they aren't out on the ledges yet. If you're planning to go in the next couple weeks then the shad spawn will be in full swing. Look shallow for the shad flickering everywhere and the bass busting them. Throw something that looks like the shad and have fun!

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    I made a couple trips a few weeks ago. Water was great and bass were still in spawn/post spawn. They were schooling on shad on the points. they aren't out on the ledges yet. If you're planning to go in the next couple weeks then the shad spawn will be in full swing. Look shallow for the shad flickering everywhere and the bass busting them. Throw something that looks like the shad and have fun!
    What do ya do after the sun gets up and over the trees around 8 am? Fished that place this time of year for a tx and didn't catch but a few fish in 5 days. I was never so happy to get back to my shallow, chemical infested (FWC), half dead mud holes in north/central FL.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    What do ya do after the sun gets up and over the trees around 8 am? Fished that place this time of year for a tx and didn't catch but a few fish in 5 days. I was never so happy to get back to my shallow, chemical infested (FWC), half dead mud holes in north/central FL.
    In my experience they do one of two things. Get way back under the alligator grass and you have to punch them out or they move deep where you can still catch them but it's tough. During the shad spawn they're just full lol. If you catch one in that 8-10am timeframe they literally have shad falling out of their mouth and their bellies look like you took a air hose to it. I honestly think they just spend the rest of the day in a food hangover.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    In my experience they do one of two things. Get way back under the alligator grass and you have to punch them out or they move deep where you can still catch them but it's tough. During the shad spawn they're just full lol. If you catch one in that 8-10am timeframe they literally have shad falling out of their mouth and their bellies look like you took a air hose to it. I honestly think they just spend the rest of the day in a food hangover.
    I believe it. I was there last year end of April, 1st of May. For an hour first thing, I caught a few busting shad but didn't get bit at all after 8am for 5 days. The tx was won on bedding fish way up some creek where it narrowed down. 1st 2 nd and 3rd. I was like if this lake is so good then why was one little stretch of this giant lake responsible for nearly all the fish in the tx? It needs offshore hydrilla bad. That would make for one badd ass flipping bite. Vertical ledges of hydrilla mats dropping off from 8-10 ft to 20 ft. That's how beinville was untill they nuked every blade of grass. Then put 20 pnd grass carp in there. Can't teach stupid.

Someone needs to go over to lake Seminole and put a pile of hydrilla in their boat. Then go to talquin and place it in a fenced in area made of chicken mesh. Right know the hydrilla is blooming. This needs to be done in rodman as well....hmmm I'll be in orange sat where the mother load of hydrilla is and it has beautiful blooms all over the stuff��
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 05-04-2023 at 06:23 PM.