Crooked jack plate

So I bought my boat new last year. I noticed today that my motor was crooked. After looking further I show 5 dots on one side and 7 on the other. I can see the actual mount itself is crooked. This is the factory jack plate for the ZX150. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? The crazy part is I do not notice anything when driving. It handles great. Why I never noticed this until now is beyond me.
    Last edited by Madmax0818; 04-30-2023 at 05:02 PM.

2. Member
    They use a laser to align them it was installed correct. Mine is crooked also.
    2015 189 trx

3. Member
    I have had them move over time on one side. To correct them I was able to loosen both sides and rock the motor back and forth some while I jacked it up higher than I needed until it was even. Then rocked the motor some while lowering back down to the desired height ensuring it was even. Don’t know if yours is where it needs to be while not even or not but that is what I did to correct mine.

4. Member
    They move all the time. The bet way to stop this is to loosen the one side that is not at the correct height, then crank on the center nut which way it needs to go. up or down. might have to shake the motor to get it to move. Once level tighten the bolts up. Now for the trick, you need to tighten from both sides of the bolt/nut. What I mean is that you hold on to one side, nut or bolt, and tighten the other. Then switch, hold the opposite and tighten the opposite. Sounds weird, but this is the proper way to tighten the bolts and keep the JP from moving. Do it for all 4

5. Member
    Thanks for the advice but the part I’m struggling with is the actual base for the mount being crooked as well. Aside from the dots showing being off the actual base is crooked. Unless I’m missing something it looks like the base bracket is not slotted to adjust it on the transom. I’ve had a few others say leave it but I have a hard time understanding the reasoning behind it not being plum.

I would have thought the boat would pull one way or the other but it runs straight as an arrow.

6. Member
    Usually the holes are drilled in the transom so that (most importantly) the outboard is square to the pad. That does not necessarily mean it is square to the rub rail or transom top/bottom.

Not sure how Skeeter does it in the factory, but they may have adjusted to make sure the running surface and propshaft cross section are square.

7. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to contact the dealer this week to make sure. I was curious if anyone else is seeing the same thing.

8. Member
    I believe I got it squared away today. I was able to get the dots evened up 7/7 by loosing one side and leaving the other side tight. I cinched it back down and everything looks a lot better. I’ll check the ride Friday. The mounting bracket itself is still a tad off but not enough to worry about.