Backing Reel Line Capacity ?

With the rising expense of fishing line such as Fluorocarbon I plan to start backing this line spooled on my reels with either older line or braided line. My question is what percentage or length of backing line to the primary line whether Fluoro, Mono, or Co-polymer, would ya'll suggest?

2. Scraps
    I've used braid backing for years. What I did this year, I fixed all my reels. I basically spooled each reel up with braid, 60lb, full, then stripped off like two cast lengths and cut the braid. It varies based on the diameter of your main line, use more 12lb than 15lb. After doing this I wish I had used 50lb braid. Would have laid on the spool better and the knots would be smaller. But it works.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Thanks Krindgen, That's much as I Just did except didn't use braid. I spooled up some old but still good mono till full. On reels I cast crankbaits I cast out a full cast then double that distance. I cut the line then using an FG Knot I tie on usually P-line CXX-X-Tra Strong Co-Poly line. For casting, pitching, or flipping plastic baits I do almost the same as with crankbait casting except I use 10 to 12 lb Sunline FC Sniper Fluoro. I appreciate your process I do that process with my spinning reels fishing the drop-shot and Damiki Rig.

4. Banned
    I use Trilene Big Game

5. Member
    I use the cheapest mono i can find at walmart which is usually the cheap shakespere line & then fill with braid.

I bought quite a bit of BP Excel for backing and crappie fishing when it was made in America. I've got plenty left so I don't have to buy it any more, but it's the best backing solution I've found. I'm sure any mono would work well.

7. Member
    Yep cheap mono
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

8. Member
    Like others have said, cheapest mono I can find for my bait casters and then 70-80 yards of flouro. Typically on my spinning reels I rotate the braid and the add the leader. Don't spend $$ on what barely gets used.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2