Fiberglass Repair?

Nightmare day out on the water. Weather changed rapidly and the boat ramp we launched from was a disaster when it came time to pull out.

i was left with some significant gouges in the fiber glass from the dock and one chip at the very bottom of the transom.

this is my first boat and I am pretty broken up about this. Wanted to see what, of these damages, could Marine-Tex repair? I am really only looking for function from this boat and don’t care much for how it looks. I am most worried about the one at the transom but it thankfully doesn’t look like it’s deep.

will this 100% require fiberglass repair? How much would I be looking at? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Marine tex would help with all that. I fixed up a few deep gouges with it
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

3. Member
    Son, have a seat and pop a top. The damages on the top cap can be easily patched. I see you have identical sun damage on the black top coat gel that I have. You can patch them with anything. Now, about your bottom.
    West Marine (used to) has a great pamphlet on "How to fiberglass". It's kind of like welding, and you can always repair fiberglass, always. There are, however certain guidelines you must follow. You have to have fresh new fiberglass OR freshly ground (like sanded with a coarse grain disc) before resin mix will stick to it. IMHO your biggest enemy besides inexperience will be gravity if you fix it yourself.

If it was me, I'd get me a book and see if I have the tools, time, skills and dedication to repair the transom properly because I don't think Marine Tex will fix that safely and reliaby. If you keep using it it will stay wet and wet fiberglass don't work well.

Good luck.

Bassboat Restoration

Last edited by billnorman1; 04-30-2023 at 04:47 PM.