Shad rap vs DT series vs xd series: when do you which?

Just curious if most have all of these baits in their boat and use each for specific situations or do most stick to one particular series mostly? I started out using xd series mostly, but then I picked up some dt series baits and had good luck with those. And then recently, I’m seeing more and more talk about the shad rap baits…so just wanted some of you with a lot more experience than me, share your thoughts on these. What do you like and when do you use (time of year and conditions)? Thank you!

2. Member
    Shad Rap at the beginning of the year when the water is cold. As it warms up, DT and then XD for warmer months. As it gets colder, the same in reverse.

3. Member
    I use a #5 shad rap in colder water up to around 60.

If you want a go-to for any situation, the DT series is really tough to beat. I agree with what Real L says though - the Shad Raps are subtle for cold water, the XD digs hard and is more aggressive for warm water. The DT is somewhere in the middle.

A few things to add about the DT: If you're fishing around grass, there aren't many that come through grass better than the DT. You just have to be careful with them! They're legit balsa, and slapping the water to clear grass off them is a great way to break them. If you're looking for a more durable substitute, the Berkley Digger is a dead ringer. They look similar, run similar, and feel similar on the end of the line. But for whatever reason I haven't had the same luck with them as the DT. Probably just a confidence thing.

I'm getting off track here, but while on the topic...The Berkley Dredger is another one that runs similarly and may actually come through grass the best out of all of them. I think the metal disc in the lip keeps the bill down and shields the trebles. It digs harder though, so I'd put it in a more aggressive category than either the Digger or DT, but the profile is a lot smaller than other deep divers. That thing is a sneaky good bait when you need a deep diver and the fish have seen 100s of XDs.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Shad rap and Dt6-Dt10 all winter long for me. I'll throw the XD's on the ledges, which that time is rapidly approaching. Seems like I rarely throw DT's in the summer months anymore for some odd reason.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

6. Member
    Dt's year round for me. I have a few xds I'll throw in 70+ water temps but I fish pressured waters so they see xds wizz by their head every 10 seconds.
    Don't rule out shad raps in warmer water either. If the fish aren't aggressive enough for other cranks the different profile and action can make them eat. I've caught many bass offshore in the summer with 7's and 8's that wouldn't touch anything else.

7. Member
    I fished a Duel Hardcore Crank3+ (flatside similar to the Shad Rap, runs 10') alternating with a DT10 yesterday afternoon in 51 degree water. Caught 6 on each in four hours. DT10 was running 12'-13'.

There's a window here, around mid-March that the Shad Rap works really well for a couple of weeks. I like a 3 XD in the fall, if I'm throwing a SK series this time of year, I'll go with the 5 XD.

9. Member
    The DTs have replaced the XDs almost completely for me. I have a bunch but they have sat in my garage for a few years. Only ones I won't let go of at this point are the 3XD, and the really deep divers (8XD, 10XD) in case I ever get to a ledge lake.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

10. Member
    Don't sleep on the Normam DD22! Great crank, dives about 15-17ft. It has a bigger body and high float so when you hit a rock and it deflects the action is wild. Flat out gets bit!

I don't throw strike king medium diving baits much anymore.

My go to is a dt6/8/10 for most circumstances year round (well except ice fishing). I will mix in a wiggle wart, bandit 200s, and fritside 7s too from time to time.

I do find in very specific applications that a shad rap has its place like in colder water around rock late in the season.

I don't fish deep cranks much, but when I was fishing them a lot I would through fat free shads as well as 6 XDs both silent and rattling.