Boat Upgrade TR-21 to 21HP elite

I want to run a few things by the Triton crew here on BBC. I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading boats and want to hear everyone's opinions on the two boats and make sure I have not lost my mind.

I have a 1997 TR-21 with a 2012 250 Mercury Pro XS (550ish hours) that is in very good condition for its age. The only thing the boat "needs" is carpet and that is only due to being matted down. No stains or rips. I have owned this boat for around 12 years and know it like the back of my hand. My biggest complaint with this hull is that the deck is on the narrow side and is not the PD deck design, so I have the open area in front of the console. Lots of wasted space IMHO...

I am looking at a 2010 21HP Elite with a 2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4S (125ish hours). This boat has 8' Power pole Blades, Similar Electronics that are newer Generations, 36V Ultrex, Hyd Jackplate Ect. This boat could also use new carpet but not critical.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Would this be much of an upgrade in ride quality and a fishing rig? Both boats are fast hulls and that is a bonus but not critical in my world.

2. Member
    IMO, that will be a real good upgrade. I also went from an 2002 TR to a 2007 HP hull. You will appreciate having more room on the front deck as well as the new 4S engine. I would look into the warranty status on that engine. You may be able to get more Platinum coverage from Merc. It will ride and fish just fine. If the rig checks out good, I think you will enjoy it. Good luck.

3. Member
    Huge upgrade!!!

4. Member
    Had a 99 TR-21 and then a few TR-196. Bought a 2010 21hp elite a few years ago and went from a 2s 250 to a 300 4s.

Boat itself is absolutely an upgrade. In my case the previous owners should have been hung with the neglect of the boat, but overall a better boat in all kinds of ways.